Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something I've been wanting to bring up is the fact the square chain takes wear and tear off the saw. It runs cooler and gets better fuel mileage.
May be because I'm more carefull with it but chain life seems better too.
I've cut 15 plus cord with one chain and its still half life or better,after putting it in the dirt a couple of times and cutting a nail in my bucking horse.
I would like to see more people try it even if they end up round fileing it when it needs sharpening.
Just my 2 cents.

something I've been wanting to bring up is the fact the square chain takes wear and tear off the saw. It runs cooler and gets better fuel mileage.
I've cut 15 plus cord with one chain and its still half life or better,after putting it in the dirt a couple of times and cutting a nail in my bucking horse.
I would like to see more people try it even if they end up round fileing it when it needs sharpening.
Just my 2 cents.

So, if I bought some square ground and did not like it is it as easy to go back to round as it is to get round to square? I have always been square-curious and I am thinking of my trying my first square experience. Would it be better to buy a loop or buy a file and convert some round chain?

Just my 2 cents.

Seeing as there are people from all over the world reading this forum this point needs some clarification. In serious hardwood the square ground point gets rolled over in just a couple of sqft of cut. After that the saw is working harder than round ground. I learned the hard way, I milled about 30 aussie hardwood logs with square ground before switching to round ground and I would never go back. I keep a couple of loops of square ground to play with if I ever come across a softwood.

Seeing as there are people from all over the world reading this forum this point needs some clarification. In serious hardwood the square ground point gets rolled over in just a couple of sqft of cut. After that the saw is working harder than round ground. I learned the hard way, I milled about 30 aussie hardwood logs with square ground before switching to round ground and I would never go back. I keep a couple of loops of square ground to play with if I ever come across a softwood.
I did say ma be cause I'm more careful with it, LOL. your right Bob I cut mostly clean,soft by your standards wood, hell I dont't even cut close to the ground.I use anouther saw with semi chisel for flush cutting,hollow trees etc.But, its been my experience round ground will knock the nose down too if you keep sawing with a dull chain, and this is just in soft oak and hickory.

So, if I bought some square ground and did not like it is it as easy to go back to round as it is to get round to square? I have always been square-curious and I am thinking of my trying my first square experience. Would it be better to buy a loop or buy a file and convert some round chain?
Yeah defineatly easier going from square too round than the other way around.
I never wood have been able to convert round to square whitout getting some time with fileing the square 1st.

I'd say get a few loops of square to try. That way you can see first hand what you're trying to replicate with the file. If you don't like it file it round, no problem. Just remember Oregon square chain is not really that sharp right out of the box.

Andy

You may be right, but the clarification needs to go farther.
Square ground is not good for milling in any wood. It is strictly a crosscut profile. It would be like taking an 8 pt hand saw and trying to rip a 10' 6x6.
I've never found a wood so hard that it wouldn't cut faster than, and last almost as long as round chisel. But then again I've never cut Ausi wood. Square chisel chain was however developed in the PNW for cutting big conifers.
If the wood over there is as nasty as you guy's say, maybe you should be milling with a trencher with rock teeth. :cheers:

Andy

Red, all I buy now is SaveEdge. They are very good files.

Cool, I'll be giving them a try as soon as I run out of Pferds. May not be too much longer. I'm finally getting back to falling Monday. Well, falling, skidding, and masticating 320 acres. About stinkin' time, but it'll keep me buisy for a day or two. :cheers:

Andy

Red, all I buy now is SaveEdge. They are very good files.

See what I mean!!!! I found out about them @ the TCIA Tree care Convention about 5 years ago they had a booth there and I bought a box of each for all the round sizes I use plus a couple of Flats for rakers and a couple of three squares and Flat chisel bits and havent looked back,,, and if you want to build a racing chain,,, check out the Goofy files,,

I would have to say they are the sharpest files Ive ever used,, Keep them clean and they will last a very long time,,

See what I mean!!!! I found out about them @ the TCIA Tree care Convention about 5 years ago they had a booth there and I bought a box of each for all the round sizes I use plus a couple of Flats for rakers and a couple of three squares and Flat chisel bits and havent looked back,,, and if you want to build a racing chain,,, check out the Goofy files,,

I would have to say they are the sharpest files Ive ever used,, Keep them clean and they will last a very long time,,

I just got some of the goofy files, and they are very nice. Ultra sharp!!! And good price too!!

I finally ordered some chain and I got one of the double ended files on the way from madsens. The guy on the phone said it was the oberg style or said something about oberg. I would guess they will be here early next week. I ordered up some of the durapro semi skip in 32" and a full skip 32" in it. It supposed to be wider kerf and a little bigger tooth. I have a regular oregon semi skip square here already for the 32" rw bar.

Alright I got the double ended file in the mail. I'm a little disappointed that the sides are almost like a goofy file. It will probably be easier to use that way but it's not a true double bevel. It is made by viala like the double bevels they sell. I noticed the viala and save edge are the same blank buts cut different. THey are both made in portugal. Save edge is cut in the US.

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

I'm sorry to say I've given up on filing anything but round, it's just not worth the effort. Time is better spent elsewhere, such as chirping on AS or cutting wood. The only way to get a sq. chain perfect is to grind it. Go to Hell Art Martin, Tommy Fales and Dennis Cahoon!
Pal John

I'm sorry to say I've given up on filing anything but round, it's just not worth the effort. Time is better spent elsewhere, such as chirping on AS or cutting wood. The only way to get a sq. chain perfect is to grind it. Go to Hell Art Martin, Tommy Fales and Dennis Cahoon!
Pal John

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I know how you fell Yukon. :cry:I just dulled 2 square chains with one cut a piece in sassafras and it's still green. One was a brand new Oregon durapro chain and the other was just oregon CK chain. The dry oak will really dull the cutters bad on a square chain. I think I'll stick with round for anything but pine and I'll only use it if I fell the tree.

I know how you fell Yukon. :cry:I just dulled 2 square chains with one cut a piece in sassafras and it's still green. One was a brand new Oregon durapro chain and the other was just oregon CK chain. The dry oak will really dull the cutters bad on a square chain. I think I'll stick with round for anything but pine and I'll only use it if I fell the tree.

I hear ya mdavlee, I was really into sq.grinding a few years ago for work and GTG's and got pretty good at it. I found it never dulled quicker than round, but that was maybe the angles I used. I have since sold the grinder, but wished I still had it. I can grind sq. a whole lot faster and accurate than I can file sq.
John

Everyone should always keep in mind square was developed for softwoods timber falling.

Expecting square to be a universal profile across the board, is like expecting whipped cream to be good on pie an antiseptic ointment, hair cream, and window cleaner.

Another consideration is tooth profile. . . If you have a 45° top-plate, it'll last a long time. . . I use square to cut Black Hawthorne, and that crap is HARD! And my teeth don't show any adverse wear or dulling when I'm done. Granted, I'm not cutting a cord at a time either.

Tooth profile is important, square or round. I can sharpen a square chain that's fast as all get out, but no longevity. I can file a round chain that is fast as all get out, but with no longevity.

Sounds like you boys back east need freaking carbide chain! LOL

No we don't need carbide, but round or semi chisel rules in the dirty hard woods we cut most of the time.

I can barely get square to beat round in cookie cutting anyway. I'll probably end up round filing everything but the 20". I might save it for GTGs if I ever can make one.

Latest posts

Back