Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah Andy. . . You can clean with a 7/32". I just like the 5/32" for the profile I do. It may seem too deep to some -- but it cuts like hell. . . And the gullets are clean for the next couple sharpenings without doing it again. :clap:

That race chain looks wicked BTW! :chainsawguy:

Yeah, I was looking at your pic and thought about not having to clean the gullet's as often. I'm gonna do a little experimenting with your gullet geometry. I was just trying to show the basics. Maybe I shoulda named this thread Square filing 101. Then we coulda started another one for advanced student's. :cheers:

Andy

Yeah, I was looking at your pic and thought about not having to clean the gullet's as often. I'm gonna do a little experimenting with your gullet geometry. I was just trying to show the basics. Maybe I shoulda named this thread Square filing 101. Then we coulda started another one for advanced student's. :cheers:

Andy

:blush:

Oops. . . I guess some of this stuff is a bit advanced. But, still, let me know what you think of the geometry Andy.

It has served me well, and I like it. . . You'll want to clean with a 5/32" though -- trust me. ;)

That design can be brought further into the race realm as well. :D

This thread has helped me out some. I might not give up on square chain after all. I need to order some more chains and files now.

Yeah I've got plenty of round files and chains. I just don't want to convert the chains over to square. A lot of them only have only about 1/2 life left in them. I might have to place an order with madsens. Have any of you tried the double ended double bevel files they sell?

Yeah I've got plenty of round files and chains. I just don't want to convert the chains over to square. A lot of them only have only about 1/2 life left in them. I might have to place an order with madsens. Have any of you tried the double ended double bevel files they sell?

I'm not sure if I have or not? I know I've used 3 or 4 brands of square file (I have yet to try a Save Edge). I think I'm gonna try the double-ender next go around. . . Seems like it'd be good, like getting two files for the price of one.

Oh, and a chain that's at half-life is still worth converting to square. . . It'll cut faster than a newly converted chain.

What brands of files have you tried metals? I've tried the pferd and save edge from baileys and the viiala from madsens and one of the vallorbe that goes with the atop that baileys sells. The vallorbe seems to be the best as far as lasting and not chipping. The viiala are second best so far. I have some triangle files but don't remember what kind they are and they don't have any markings on them. I thought about ordering the double enders next time to try them.

What brands of files have you tried metals? I've tried the pferd and save edge from baileys and the viiala from madsens and one of the vallorbe that goes with the atop that baileys sells. The vallorbe seems to be the best as far as lasting and not chipping. The viiala are second best so far. I have some triangle files but don't remember what kind they are and they don't have any markings on them. I thought about ordering the double enders next time to try them.

I'm not metals, but I'm gonna jump in here anyway. :cheers:
I've used the Valorbe, Pferd, and another brand that I can't remember. The old Oberg's were my favorites though. Wish they still made them.
I haven't tried the Valorbe's that go with the A-Top, but I found their double bevels to be a lot finer cut than the Pferd's. Which is ok for light touch ups, but they seemed to dull a lot quicker to me.
I've heard people complaine about the Pferd's not having straight edges, but even if the corners are not perfectly straight, they are a lot straighter than most folks can run a file.
I still have another dozen Pferd's to burn up, so they're my favorite right now. But I really want to try those double bevel double enders you mentioned.

Andy

I'll get a picture of the vallorbe in a minute. I'm searching for my madsens catalog to see what the double enders cost.

Here's the pictures of the files. The viala from madsens first.

003-4.jpg

The vallorbe
001.jpg

In the second picture you posted I can see that you are definately a little high in the working corner. Get the file to match exactly in the working corner and you will see a definate improvement. The gullet is also on the verge of needing to be cleaned out with a round file. All in all it looks like you are doing pretty good.
It's hard to teach this without doing it in person, and even harder to learn it that way. My hat's off to you for putting in the effort. :cheers:

Andy

I've got a 20" loop I keep on my 60CC saw,,,,, been hand filing with the Save-edge files,,, I really like them,,, It's so sharp it'll cut you just looking @ it!!!! LOLOL!!! we use it for flying tops when they are too big for the 020T,,, The 361 is woods ported and is pretty quick,,, Makes a good saw ground for busting tops quick as you part one down and are Hauling it out of the customers yard as you go!!!!,,,,,:givebeer:

Last edited:

I have tried all that you mentioned. . . But also want to try the double-enders.

I'm not metals, but I'm gonna jump in here anyway. :cheers:
I've used the Valorbe, Pferd, and another brand that I can't remember. The old Oberg's were my favorites though. Wish they still made them.
I haven't tried the Valorbe's that go with the A-Top, but I found their double bevels to be a lot finer cut than the Pferd's. Which is ok for light touch ups, but they seemed to dull a lot quicker to me.
I've heard people complaine about the Pferd's not having straight edges, but even if the corners are not perfectly straight, they are a lot straighter than most folks can run a file.
I still have another dozen Pferd's to burn up, so they're my favorite right now. But I really want to try those double bevel double enders you mentioned.

Andy

I agree. . . Pferd's are sitting on top of my list right now too.

I found another brand supposedly made in Canada on evilBay (I think it was evilBay anyway?), but never ordered one -- and I'm not sure about the quality?

I will find the link and post it here. . . Maybe I should break down and order a couple to see how they do?

I definitely want to try the double end too though.

I might place a order with madsens today and see what the double enders look like. Only thing is I won't see them til the middle of next week.

I can't find that listing for those "Canadian' files. . . Oh well.

As soon as these other files are gone. . . I'll be ordering some double-enders.

I got the new catalog today. The double enders are $8.95 each which isn't too bad I don't guess if you get 2 files in one. The only thing is it will have to be short strokes with a 7" file that is cut on both ends.

I've got a 20" loop I keep on my 60CC saw,,,,, been hand filing with the Save-edge files,,, I really like them,,, It's so sharp it'll cut you just looking @ it!!!! LOLOL!!! we use it for flying tops when they are too big for the 020T,,, The 361 is woods ported and is pretty quick,,, Makes a good saw ground for busting tops quick as you part one down and are Hauling it out of the customers yard as you go!!!!,,,,,:givebeer:

Yeah, when you're piecing one down like that you've got to have a good fast cutting saw so the groundmen don't get squashed in the kill zone. ;) I quit climbing after I woke up one morning and realized my grandkids were right......I'm getting old. :laugh:
I'm going to try the Save edge files. I've heard too much good about them to let em slide. But I'm going to use up this box of Pferd's before I do anything.

Andy

Yeah, when you're piecing one down like that you've got to have a good fast cutting saw so the groundmen don't get squashed in the kill zone. ;) I quit climbing after I woke up one morning and realized my grandkids were right......I'm getting old. :laugh:
I'm going to try the Save edge files. I've heard too much good about them to let em slide. But I'm going to use up this box of Pferd's before I do anything.

Andy

For what its worth, I think that these Save edge goofey files are very nice. They cut really great, best file that Ive used so far.

And today I ran the file on the 357 again, I tried to hold the file at a little steeper angle, took a couple of cuts, I think its a little better this time, sorry no pics yet or vids.

For what its worth, I think that these Save edge goofey files are very nice. They cut really great, best file that Ive used so far.

And today I ran the file on the 357 again, I tried to hold the file at a little steeper angle, took a couple of cuts, I think its a little better this time, sorry no pics yet or vids.

Good deal!!
Without being able to be there to show you, you'll have to find the sweet spot on your own, with a little cyber coaching. Once you find it, it won't be long before it becomes "natural". Then you'll be trying to figure out how to explain what your doing to help someone else. :cheers:

Andy

Good deal!!
Without being able to be there to show you, you'll have to find the sweet spot on your own, with a little cyber coaching. Once you find it, it won't be long before it becomes "natural". Then you'll be trying to figure out how to explain what your doing to help someone else. :cheers:

Andy

Thanks!! Looking forward to trying full square soon.

Latest posts

Back