Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know this is a year old thread, but its a good one.

Did anyone ever get around to modding the Oregon filing guide so a double bevel would fit? Id try this mod, but haven't exactly figured out what is required yet.

Any one tried the ATOP filing guides for the square grind? In their video it looks like they do a hell of a job, but the guide its self is high, and the replacement files isn't cheep either.

Ive been trying the square grind stuff for about a month, I didn't find it that hard to pick up on,,,, but Im not that good yet either. I get lucky ever now and then and get a few good cutters, some of the rest isn't so pretty, but they seem to cut good and straight so maybe there not off too bad yet. Hers a few pictures of a free handed chain.

photobucket-8086-1310320541023.jpg

photobucket-4227-1310320515550.jpg

Looking good durand. :msp_thumbsup:It does take a while to get consistent teeth.

Ok I have done some square filing on a couple of chains. One 3/8 and another .325. I have been using the triangle files from stihl. I took one of the files and ground one side of it flat for the .325 chain so that it would clear the links. I got a side beak on some of the cutters but over all both chains cut very well and very straight. I think i am going to do one more chain for another saw in 3/8. I usually get them in a vise I made for holding the drivers and convert them from round to square over a 3 or 4 day period.

I usually get them in a vise I made for holding the drivers and convert them from round to square over a 3 or 4 day period.

Need photos of the vise!

Would 'squaring off' the top plates of the cutters (with an Oregon 511a type grinder) to the new starting angle for square grind speed up conversion (and save files)?

Philbert

Here are photos of my vice. The two halves slide over the 4 rollpins. They are for alignment only.It works pretty well. The top bevel on the vice acts as a 45 degree guide and gives clearance for the file.I am thinking of making another using pony clamps.

P1010013-1_zps7abb22f3.jpg

P1010012-Copy_zpsd9147734.jpg

P1010014-1_zpsd3aba368.jpg

This is a good old thread! Hadn't seen it until it was resurrected. It was LATE last night when I finished looking at it. There are some other threads going on the subject now, if interested.

This is a good old thread! Hadn't seen it until it was resurrected. It was LATE last night when I finished looking at it. There are some other threads going on the subject now, if interested.

Can you list those other threads?
I have been reading through this and it is interesting all the different opinions on sg and whether it is worth doing for hard wood cutting.

Here are photos of my vice.

I copied these photos to this thread, that shows other home-made filing vises, to keep a bunch of them together:
- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/120500.htm

There are some other threads going on the subject now, if interested.

Can you list those other threads?

Here are a couple of related threads that I am aware of:

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/224043.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/69509.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/223905.htm

I got an itch to try and play around with square ground chain, but have no experience, so I will be watching these threads and asking lots of questions. Please add any additional threads, including any oldy-but-goody ones.

Philbert

P.S. - doing a Search for 'square ground' (in the titles only, uncheck 'exact name') came back with 103 threads - then dropped down to 53 (A.S. search engine apparently can be a finicky as filing square chain?).

I have not looked through all of them - there might be a lot of repetition of what is in the threads above. There might be some dead ends. But there might be some gems. You will also get different results searching for 'square filed' or 'full chisel chain'. Please let us know if you find any of those gems.

Thanks.

Philbert

Thanks Philbert.
I have read through some of the threads with interest for some time.
Trouble is I am not a whole lot better with the search engine than I am with posting pictures.

You do an excellent job and put out very good posts for us to learn from.

'Hand Filing Square' that Philbert already mentioned is one I was thinking of. And 'Best Brand of File' talks a bit about chisel files.

SG on Smaller Chains?

I bought a used Silvey from another A.S. member, but it will take me a while to get it set up, learn how to dress the stones. etc. Might have to wait for some warmer weather to really try it (I prefer to grind outdoors or in the garage).

Most of my saws run smaller chains, so I am looking for any input on these. It looks like Oregon 22LPX, and Carlton K3L are round ground .325 chisel cutters that I can convert to square ground (.063 gauge). Also, STIHL Rapid-Super (RS) also comes in .325 pitch.

In 3/8 low profile chain, STIHL PS3 is the only full chisel chain I can find.

I'm thinking of using my Oregon 511a style grinder to adjust the cutter top plate angles from 30* to 20*, and to remove the hook on the side plate, before forming the square ground profile. Make sense?

Thanks.

Philbert

I bought a used Silvey from another A.S. member, but it will take me a while to get it set up, learn how to dress the stones. etc. Might have to wait for some warmer weather to really try it (I prefer to grind outdoors or in the garage).

Most of my saws run smaller chains, so I am looking for any input on these. It looks like Oregon 22LPX, and Carlton K3L are round ground .325 chisel cutters that I can convert to square ground (.063 gauge). Also, STIHL Rapid-Super (RS) also comes in .325 pitch.

In 3/8 low profile chain, STIHL PS3 is the only full chisel chain I can find.

I'm thinking of using my Oregon 511a style grinder to adjust the cutter top plate angles from 30* to 20*, and to remove the hook on the side plate, before forming the square ground profile. Make sense?

Thanks.

Philbert

I run my top plate almost 25°. I don't square the cutters off with a round grinder. I just start grinding on them with a square wheel and that way you don't waste any cutter.

I don't square grind .325 or 3/8 lo pro chains.

Regular 3/8 round ground chisel, I just square grind it with the square grinder. hardly more trouble than just round sharpening round ground chain.

I've filed round 3/8 chain square with the Atop guide. It will wear out a file to do a 60DL one.

I think it will be hard to square grind the smaller chain with the shorter teeth. There's not much room to get in there between the raker and tooth and get a good angle.

OK.

I thought maybe you could grind it easier than you could file it.

I haven't tried either yet but have a used Simington 451 somewhere between Michigan and my place so trying to learn all I can.

Latest posts

Back