Srt.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
when using ascenders on a single rope......
do you climb a fixed line tied off w/ a running
bowline for example or tie off on the working end
and ascend on the running end of your life-line?????
budroe
:cool:

SRT is a static ascension system. Single Rope Technique.

The rope is tied off either to a limb/crotch, or to ground level anchor.

DdRT is static also, but the line is drapped in the crotch, and 2 ascenders or a friction hitch is used... Doubled Rope Technique.

The traditional method is dynami in that the rope runs through a Tie In Point (TIP).

So to actualy answer your specific quetion, both senarios you put forth are SRT.

Her is a pick of the Dunlap SRT anchor method, which allows ground level rescue.
tom2.jpg

I was asking the same question last week in the thread on ascenders. I got the impression that all but the most advanced climbers tied in normally and used the ascenders on the running end of their lifeline. This gives you double protection, since you are completely tied in when you leave the ground and you don't have to re-rig when you get to the top of the tree.

I will be using the Pantin on the running end of my lifeline until I get comfortable enough to try SRT (single rope technique). Even then it will probably be a trick for very tall trees only, so I can get to the top faster.

You got those oaks around your house done yet? :p

JPS- you might be confusing Budroe. The first example he asked about is SRT. The second is the traditional method, not SRT. For Budroe, I recommend the traditional method since he is still relatively new to climbing. Heck, with all the years I have in a saddle I'm just to the point of attempting SRT myself.

Why is there the impression that SRT is only for experienced climbers? SRT ascending is actually much less complicated, and also easier, than what is traditionally used to access the canopy [I like tossing that word in when I can :)] This is a progressive technique that should be learned by anyone climbing trees.

Moving ahead with your climbing skills and techniques is just as important as keeping abreast of modern pruning and PHC trends.

If anyone wants a copy of the SRT article that I wrote for TCI, send me an email off the forum and I'll attach it for you.

This week one of my students worked with me for a couple of days. She has never climbed trees with ropes. After seeing the many ways that I move around in the tree she can see how much easier SRT is to use. Whe'll be in my spring climbing class. She asked if the class will use all of the gear that I use. I had to chuckle. I explained that she would be learning a simple method and as the class progressed, they would learn SRT. There is only so much that can be covered in a 30 hour class.

Tom

Spencer,
I never got my Sept. issue of TCI, so I had Tom email me the article. I just forwarded it to you, check your email. :)

Little more effort for a faster ascent.

tag teaming a tree, both climbers can ascend one line, and carry thier climbing line up.

Big trees where you need to come down for lunch, the line is in there and you can go to a different section. I've done this where I've worked my way around and down a big canopy and went back up to do the other side.

Very tall trees, where normal arbo rope has a lot of streach, you are not bouncing around.

I tried my first ascent on a single line today after picking up my Pantin at Vermeer. I wanted to try out something I've been thinking about for a week or so. I used the Pantin on my ankle, and tied in to the single line with a Distal using Ultra Tech line. Instead of a tender pulley, I used a Mini-Traxion. It fit nicely on a Petzl Williams biner. When weighting my hitch, the Mini-Traxion took the weight. This kept my hitch from locking up but it was still in place in case anything happened to the Mini-Traxion.
I tried two variations. One with the hitch and M-T attached to my belt, and one with that biner connected to my belt via a 26" strap. Using the strap kept the ascender and hitch out of my way, but required more time to tie in once at the top.

I found that the M-T must be removed to descend. The lever to lock it open tends to slip when descending, and it will shred your rope. But hopefully this method will give me an easier option when faced with a tall tree to ascend. I've never been able to footlock and this is a LOT easier than air-humping. I'm usually too tired to do much work after air-humping 60'.

The biggest restriction that I see right now to actually working off of SRT is that your friction hitch is carrying ALL your weight instead of only half like in a traditional system. More money for more equipment would be necessary for ME to match the control I have in a traditional system. In a split tail system, the friction hitch takes the most abuse and is the 'weak link' in my mind. Using tiny hitch cord means more heat has to dissapate in a smaller area. My hitch gets MUCH hotter than when I used the single rope with 3' tail (old fashioned) method. Doubling the load on a friction hitch would make the system unacceptable, unless alternate methods were used to control descent.

Looks like I still have a lot more to learn! :p

Last edited:
I know of only one guy who works toataly on SRT, he has an eight run in the system and ascends on a prussick or Klemhiest. Not something I would want to do regularly.

I mostly ascend DdRT then pull the splice up to me. Maybe recrotche to a better working position.

Latest posts

Back