Standardize Chain Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am a member of a, newly formed, Baptist Disaster Relief Team.
We want Standardize the saw size on our saws.

We have 1- new Husqvarna 460 saw
The bar on the 460 has the following numbers on it....
SN A 20/50 .050/1.3
3/8 72DL 545 00 54-04 QT

We have 3- used Husqvarna 350 saws
2 - have bars with the following numbers on them....
608 - 00 - 01 - 88
18" .325 - 72 DH

1- has the following numbers on it....
508 9261 - 72
.325 .50 18" 45CM

We would like, if possible, to run only 3/8 .050 chain on all 4 saws
Is this possible??? If not what has to be changed in order to do so???
Would it be , NOT recomended to run the 3/8 .050 chain on the 350 saws??

Thanks
David

I support the notion for .325 across the board. The smaller saws will pull it better and the bigger saw will absolutely rip with it. It's not quite as strong but for part time use like I'd hope you're using it for it'll fit the bill.

The 350 would pull 3/8" chain "meh", but since you only have 1 saw running 3/8" vs 3 running .325 it'd be cheaper to just switch the 460.
Also could go to an 18" vs 20" so they run all the same chain.

Well.... We had not thought of running .325 on the 460.....
That is something to think about.

Thanks for the info.
David

but all 3 are wear items. They may not wear out with the intended use any time soon tho.

I'd change the one saw to .325 to match the others. Get the new bar in 18", so you can run common 72dl chain.

from a cost standpoint it does not make much difference having one chain or not. If you still had 2 chains per saw then you would need 8 chains. It would not matter if one or all was .325 0r 3/8.. Some places will volume discount over 10 chains if you wanted 2 extra, but the savings is less than the cost of a bar... Some places might discount on a lesser order. Idk.

Everything the same would be the smartest way to go to best fit the intended purpose.. If you're in a disaster situation or area with help that may or may not know what we know, one slip up with a different length chain or bar thats not right for that chain could take a saw and hand out for the day. Matt has the right idea

Scott:
I agree. Matt does have the right Idea.
Will start working in that direction. All saws with 18" bars running .325 chain.

Here is another question for you guys.....
What do you guys think of small saws ( 35 to 40cc ) for limbing?
Thanks
David

Back