Standing inside the fire..lalala

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geez

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, maybe that's not exactly how the song goes but it sure described my condition for a second :rockn: . There's been a couple threads here lately talking about backdraft, puffing, whatever. And I'm really pretty carefull about opening the door but it got me tonight.
I had came home, opened it up and raked the coals around to shake the ash through the grate. Messed around quite a while actually with hardly a spark glowing, everything seemed just about out. So I loaded her up ,shut the door, and flipped the switch back on. The blowers kicked on immediately. I messed around with the wood pile a couple minutes the checked to see if it was going.
Here's where it caught me unaware. I opened the door a little but made sure the safety hooks were still engaged and peeked. Some smoke rolled out and I could see healthy flames working up in the back. Since it was already burning openly I felt safe opening the door more to give it some more air.
With the door wide open now, I felt safe walkiing in front of the door. I was looking straight in and WHOOM! Biggest flashback I have ever encountered and me staring into it eyes wide open :angry2: . I was wearing glasses, hat and sweatshirt with the hood up and that's all that saved me. Didn't lose any hair, just scorch marks on the edge of the hood. And black soot speckles all over my face.
In retrospect, it was really pretty though, seeing that ball of fire from the inside looking out. I remember the world became a pretty purplish rose color with a strange blue tinge or background. Happened too fast to remember exactly, just that it was sure different, pretty and scary all at once.
Never had a blowback when the fire was already going good like that but I will be more careful from now on.
Sorry for the rambling but the adrenaline is still flowing.

Eyebrows are overrated anyhow...LOL!

Good to hear you're GTG and didn't get crispy.

Agreed though on how pretty it is in that moment.
It is kinda surreal, and then POW! the signal of heat on the skin finally hits the brain housing group and things make sense all of a sudden. DOH!!!

Have seen it a couple times doing the industrial Firefighter gig, and in a flashover simulator. It's way Cool if ya don't get turkey necked.

Good thing ya had your eyeballs shielded.
It only takes a Milisecond to heat up the thin layer of mucous and water on the eyeballs to the boiling point and steam it off, with that kind of heat.

I'll bet ya don't do that again!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Body hair isn't really needed. :D

I've gotten a couple good flashes in the past few months.

Last edited:
I used to run an old style pattern torch in a machine shop. Torch followed an iron pattern above the torch head and all scrap slag fell into a cut down 50 gal barrel under it. Went over to fire it up after lunch which need a bit of leaning over the barrel. Open valve, hit lighgter and 35 gal of Map gas went off...okay, it wasn't 35 gal but it was bunch. That is when I pulled the torch and insisted it be rebuilt so it would quit leaking when shut off. Got a very good sunburn and took awhile before I had eyebrows again.

Harry K

I always turn my blowers off after I give the door some air....I always load with the blowers off. Good thing you had those glasses on!!!

I used to be a bit surprised at how people would not be able to escape a burning house, just run out fast right? After getting a face full of flames, smoke or hot gases from my owb I can easily see how it can incapacitate you immediately. It takes your breath away and you can't open your eyes. The strange things you think about when you are loading the owb...

Actually one of these flashback posts from a few weeks ago made me pay more attention to it...last week I noticed mine was at 181 deg (set to 180) so I knew it just shut off... cracked it open which I always did to let the smoke roll out..well I peeked in as it was rolling out and BAM...all the gasses ignited at the top of the firebox and a puff came out all around the door...have to admit it looked cool to see the gasses flash off like that but could have been ugly if I didn't crack the door like that....score one for this site making me think about it more :)

I've never had it happen to me. I work with a guy that has the same model OWB I do and he no more than gets his eye brows back and they are gone again:dizzy: I don't know what the difference is, I'm not sure his OWB is facing the same direction (wind wise) or not.

Actually one of these flashback posts from a few weeks ago made me pay more attention to it...last week I noticed mine was at 181 deg (set to 180) so I knew it just shut off... cracked it open which I always did to let the smoke roll out..well I peeked in as it was rolling out and BAM...all the gasses ignited at the top of the firebox and a puff came out all around the door...have to admit it looked cool to see the gasses flash off like that but could have been ugly if I didn't crack the door like that....score one for this site making me think about it more :)

Something similar happened to me last week. The OWB was at 185 and when I cracked the door open the flames came rolling out. To close for comfort for me.

Sadly, I join the ranks of "Doing without thinking" in this arena.
On Monday of this week, I came in the shop and was going to fire up the stove to get some much needed heat. Opened the door and noted quite a bit of glowing coals from the day before. I threw a bunch of wood in, and then tossed in a cup of diesel to get it going. After a few minutes of nothing happening, I cautiously opened the door and noted nothing but a bunch of smoking wood.
Not having the sense of a golfball, I tossed in a kitchen match and the ball of flame coming out of the stove knocked me back to the ground.
Now sporting some serious burns on my right hand with the meat hanging off at times as the blisters try and heal.
You would think I would have more sense to know that hot diesel doesnt burn, it detonates!

Now sporting some serious burns on my right hand with the meat hanging off at times as the blisters try and heal.
You would think I would have more sense to know that hot diesel doesnt burn, it detonates!

Yuck… nasty visual there on the 2nd and 3rd degree burns. That’s a lot more information then I wanted to know! Man I hope you heal up quick.

Holy Cow! I never heard of this happening till last last month a fellow here reported one of the back drafts blew...

... but fortunately for him he was bending over and it went over his back. You're were both very lucky...don't forget to thank the man upstairs.

Back