Started clearing at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress pics.

ed7e487f3d476e7455bb63a00c00a9bc.jpg
7e988e6a0db4907202949782f9e95fdc.jpg
d444d321c634e9b5781e20dec97b0812.jpg

Sent from a field

Ill quarter that oak down with the chainsaw and then yes, I can start taking splits off them 1 hit.
Wouldn't.it be easier/cleaner/cheaper/faster to mash the bucket teeth of that CAT on those rounds you cut and bust them rounds in half/quarters? Just putting it out there....something to consider.

Doesn't really work unless the log is already splitting or its rotten.

How do you like the CAT excavator? I ran 9ne lastvsummer, I wasn't overly impressed. Quick, but the power wasn't great and it had way too little tail weight. A bucket of gravel at full extention would tip it.

I'm used to the Hitachi 200, 310 and 400. Played on a 700 a bit once too.

Its a rental hoe, 324, just for clearing the woods. Our 324 doesn't have a thumb. It is a little light in the back end, but some of that can be overcome based on how you are oriented over the undercarriage.

We used to run Hitachi hoes and Volvo trucks and loaders. But they hashed out a deal with CAT and now they get 15% off something for all their equipment since the energy side of the company is buying CAT gensets at $1.2 mill a pop. Im not overly impressed with CAT overall. They seem to be riding the coat tails of the name recognition.

They purchased a new 836K 2 years ago. The engine eventually blew the head gaskets, twice, resulting in an engine rebuild. Transmission failed and took the drop box with it. All before 5000 hours. They ended up giving it back to CAT, with $90,000 for a new 836K and it just went in the shop because they found coolant in the oil. Head gaskets gone, just over 5000 hours.

Still going at it. I finally had to stop taking wood.

I also ran across what I believe I've been able to identify as Black Maple. Similar to sugar but a smoother bark.

And since everyone loves pics..... the 362 has been getting loved all week.

f742bfb4ee7fb518332a0d925a5e7b8a.jpg

Sent from a field
Did you run out of space? How much do you have stockpiled?

I didn't run out of space. But I've got a host of other projects going on and looking at the piles knowing that it needs to be cut and split is starting to get overwhelming. I'm going to have to drag some of the dead ash home because I don't think I'll get any of this cut and split into this year to have a 2 year seasoning cycle. I estimate I have 30+ full cords stacked. That's using an average measurement of both piles. It will likely be less.

But there is still a lot here and the only other guy taking wood is stuffed to the gills as well. I still can't believe no one else is taking any.

Sent from a field

I didn't run out of space. But I've got a host of other projects going on and looking at the piles knowing that it needs to be cut and split is starting to get overwhelming. I'm going to have to drag some of the dead ash home because I don't think I'll get any of this cut and split into this year to have a 2 year seasoning cycle. I estimate I have 30+ full cords stacked. That's using an average measurement of both piles. It will likely be less.

But there is still a lot here and the only other guy taking wood is stuffed to the gills as well. I still can't believe no one else is taking any.

Sent from a field
some guys prefer to convert paychecks into heat , then call the emergency furnace guy and pay double when the heat goes out on a holiday.

I don't mind working but them paychecks can buy fun stuff if they aren't all used up on heat and bills.

I think it's just that we've had a mild winter. About half the guys in our side of the company heat with wood. Most of them have boilers though. I cringe every time I watched another guy take a stick of oak or hickory knowing he's going to chunk it up and burn it, green.

Sent from a field

Keep on stockpiling, it will be a long time before it rots in log form. I don't understand why anybody(who knows better) burns green wood. I like my boiler by the way. It is nice to have access to that much wood. I was given 50+ trees that had been cut down when a feller/buncher crossed a property line. Another friend just gave me a load of logs that his father won't use. I have close to a log truck load of 18"-24" locust logs on private property to cut up. My problem is there is no where flat to do the work. Keep sending the pics, I love em.

Shea

I simply have to remember to be thankful, not everybody has the opportunities or access we have.

I think it's just that we've had a mild winter. About half the guys in our side of the company heat with wood. Most of them have boilers though. I cringe every time I watched another guy take a stick of oak or hickory knowing he's going to chunk it up and burn it, green.

Sent from a field
Your right Casey, if it's warm today we don't need to be concerned about getting wood today :dumb:. I've heard it said that those who are prepared are usually spared, your looking prepared :cheers:.

Keep on stockpiling, it will be a long time before it rots in log form. I don't understand why anybody(who knows better) burns green wood. I like my boiler by the way. It is nice to have access to that much wood. I was given 50+ trees that had been cut down when a feller/buncher crossed a property line. Another friend just gave me a load of logs that his father won't use. I have close to a log truck load of 18"-24" locust logs on private property to cut up. My problem is there is no where flat to do the work. Keep sending the pics, I love em.

Shea

I simply have to remember to be thankful, not everybody has the opportunities or access we have.
What's up Shea.
Man a truck load of locust :sweet:. Cut a cord this week, and I was still happy to cut up the smallest of the dead branches to bring right into the house or have the kids bring it in :yes:.
Watch out as soon as Casey sees you have some he'll be trying to get a load from you :laugh:.
Your right about the access, I'm grateful that I have a lot of wood stocked up and can get more pretty easily. I think it was @benp that was saying it just doesn't seem fair that the folks with the colder weather get lower BTU wood than we do, and it sure doesn't seem that way. There are benefits to the softwood though, we could cut it in half the time and we could haul twice as much in a load :happy:.

I made a post in another forum section about it about forum issues, will see if it gets any response.

I don't get that option when I right click.

I do get a 'Open image in new tab' option, and when I click that I get 'This site can't provide a secure connection' and 'uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com uses an unsupported protocol.'

But I just tried it on my Samsung S7 (new gadget that I am just learning) - and I can see the pics on that.

Haven't been on much lately, but after just seeing a post by someone else about pictures being seen now in another thread that couldn't be seen before, I checked this one out, & lo & behold they show up now for me. I haven't changed anything here. Huh.

Latest posts

Back