Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole Soup

Reaction score
I am a 15 year old rising Sophomore. I want to become a commercial airline pilot but that takes a lot of money and my parents will pay part of it but my parents want me to sell firewood or something to make some money to contribute. My dad goes out into the forest with me and we cut up trees that has already fallen (not rotten/pithy and it is illegal to cut down standing trees). We have a huge husqvarna chainsaw that is 36". We have a backup smaller homelite chainsaw that we have had for years. My dad also owns a gas hydraulic splitter that I can use (either 18 or 20 ton). I have a 2000 Toyota 4runner to haul with but my dad might let me use his 2010 Ford F-150. I currently do not have a trailer to haul wood. I was thinking of making one using a 19' boat trailer. Anyone have any suggestions for my business?

Hi Cole Soup. Good on you for wanting to fulfill your ambitions. Selling firewood is hard work. customers aren't always nice. having a good product that will keep customers calling back for more is key. Delivery can eat up a bunch of time so maybe you want to consider having customers come and pickup their wood. i have been selling wood for almost 30 years. keep us posted on how it goes. there will be a lot of opions here. good luck.

I believe most commercial pilots are ex-military pilots. have you thought about that route?

As far as the business, a trailer sounds pretty mandatory with only a 4runner. How much trailer weight can the 4runner handle? Fairly small vehicle. To be honest with you, as much as I admire the entrepreneurial spirit, it sounds like from where you're starting a part time job might be a better choice.

How much a cord can you expect for the type wood you have access to? Estimate of hours invested (total including transit times, etc.) for a cord? Fuel costs, etc.? That gives you an idea of $/hr you could earn and a point to evaluate other options.

In my area I'd think yard work, mowing, weed whacking, leaf blowing etc. would be a better gig especially if equipment limited. Lots of older folks looking for a dependable person to take care of some things.

I got plenty of hemlock and Doug fir that can sell for 250 a cord. I am mostly trying to figure out what trailer I should use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well... A cord is 128 cubic feet stacked. Length x width x height will give you the answer you are looking for. I would recommend two axles also. A cord can be very heavy.

Edit: brakes are good to have on the trailer as well.

Do you have anyone in the area that is currently selling firewood that you could talk to or work a summer for?

If there half way decent business owners, then they’ll give you a few pointers and maybe a few costumers help you get started.
If they are assholes, they will view you as competition no matter how much of the market you sell to, and not help you one bit.

Boat trailers are generally built light duty for two reasons. Boats are designed to be light weight, and the boat manufactures don’t make any money on the trailers so they make them cheep.

You might be able to get away with one cord on the boat trailer if a deck was put on it, but check to see if the 4Runner is rated to haul that load.

Good luck.

Be honest with what youre selling...species, amount, and if it's seasoned or not. Show up on time when you deliver and be polite. If you are someone people trust, word will spread and in a few years you won't be able to meet demands.

My comment is it sounds like you have good, supportive parents that are encouraging you to be proactive in working towards your goals.
You have a young body, don't abuse it.
Work smart and safe.
Buy and use PPE, personal protective equipment, such as good boots, chaps, eye and hearing protection. Read the warning label that are packaged with most the chaps. They often show the areas most likely injured using a chain saw, and where the largest percentages of injuries are, from your toes to your head.
Fifteen years old is a great time to begin practicing good work habits.
By that I mean take the time to assess what your going to do, what are the dangers and how can you minimize them.
For example, keep your work area as clear as you can of trip hazards that can restrict or trap foot movement. Get in the habit of using your chain brake, each time before moving your feet.
Get your dad or someone to coach you on proper use and maintenance of a saw. Chain saws can be deadly. I personally know two friends who have had close friends killed while using a chain saw. One was an adult who had been drinking, the other was an eighteen year old earning money in the summer cutting pulp. He died from a kickback. (Actually the adult was not using a chain saw. He was holding the bottom of a ladder, and another person was on the ladder, topping a small tree.)
If you get tired running a piece of equipment, stop and take a break, or shift to something else less strenuous for a bit. Sharpen a chain, or clear an area of cut rounds if need be, before cutting more.
Be respectful of your body and use proper lifting techniques.
You can't be a pilot if you have a bad back, or restricted motion in crushed fingers or such.
Of course one goal is to make money, but learn to work steady and safe, not racing and cutting corners chasing a few dollars.
Ask how many guys on this forum have bad backs.
Back injuries seldom heal well, and often are life long, painful issues. Hernias can be easily repaired with surgery, but will sideline you for a couple months from any lifting, and limit physical activity for some time.
It is much more practical to work smart and safe before an injury than to begin doing so after an injury.
Listen to your inner voice if it saying something your doing might not be a good idea. Your body may be telling you something important.
Finally, use the buddy system. It is not a good idea to be running a saw in the woods or at home alone.
As for tools, plastic wedges are very handy, and a pulp hook. I got my pulp hook from Bailey's with a triangular tip. Flick your wrist to set it, not a whole arm swing, and the back edge of the triangle tip hooks as you lift (there is a back grind to it). Sometimes the tip can glance off the side of a round and graze or hit your leg. The wrist motion limits that somewhat, and again, the flat faced triangle vs a point is safer.

Oddly enough, logging and being a firewood vendor is my 2nd career, after my first one (USAF) left me with a blown out back.

The VA seems to thing I should work at a desk, but sitting even for a few hours is murder on my back.

I do fine, just am smart about what I lift and how I move. And get help or use equipment.

As a kid my Dad would get on us about kneeling on the garage floor without a pad. Now a days... I have a few "kneelers" (foam or carpet) at the shop and the house.

QUOTE="Sandhill Crane, post: 6579722, member:
Ask how many guys on this forum have bad backs.
Back injuries seldom heal well, and often are life long, painful issues. Hernias can be easily repaired with surgery, but will sideline you for a couple months from any lifting, and limit physical activity for some [/QUOTE]

As far as firewood, either have a specialized market that will pay a premium (perhaps bundle wood, bbqers, etc) and/or sell in quantity.

I started out in ‘79 with a 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup and two Husqvarna chainsaws. I worked up to selling 50 cords of seasoned firewood each year and cutting 50 green cords to replace it. I did this inbetween jobs, full and part time when I had a job.
I stopped over a decade ago. I have spinal stenosis, three bulging discs in my lower back. Wornout knees, and hips at 67 yo. I also would pick up 400lb parts to assemble the machines I built too. My point is I wore my body out. I was an animal in the woods. You have to be if your going to make money. I lost so many wannabe parteners it made me laugh I’d lose them the first day. Plan on being a one man logging show. Don’t count on your help showing up.

I loved cutting trees into firewood. It was hard honest work. If I had to do it all over again I’d stay in the woods. I took a engineering job as a lead tech at the corporate level. I hated it I’d rather be in the woods.

You need a truck with one cord capacity compartments. Fast delivery.

I learned through the years we need to get close to the bucked up wood with the truck to load it. When I had the 1/2 ton truck I’d load it up and drag the next load out behind me. Two bend differentials later I purchased a 1 ton truck with the 11 k pound rear axle and the heavy duty wrecker frame. The truck needs to get close to the wood on the ground.

If you want to be a pilot, join the air force. They will train you for free! It'll cost a few years of you life, but it would certainly be worth it.

Need to be an occifer, so at least bachelor degree or go through the academy.
But yes, it's the best way to do it IMO.

My uncle is a pilot. Air Force used to be the best way but not anymore, the best way possible s to get your PPL then all the ratings now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back