Station Wagons, don't laugh too much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does this count
835c6c6e19c60e68.jpg

outdoorlivin247

That Old's is beauty!! I'm partial to GM products,but like different models of all auto manufacturing sector.The Dodge wagon is very stylish.International Scouts were great too.
Lawrence

I think Banshee is thinkin' like his avatar.

Pete,
I got the '65 Ranchero from my SIL for my 55th birthday, I flew up to Seattle and drove it home, 518 miles. It has a 200cid in-line six with auto trans, it does ok. Average MPG is 23.9, and it pulls 7% grades nicely, not a fireball on the flats, it seems to be happy around 60, I drive like a farmer so it's good.

'Centric,
Been there, done that Scout thing. That old one is still sitting in the same spot, still covered in the shed. That big ass snag is still there too, too bad the son is not around to conduct business. The 'Binder I want is a early '70s, medium cabover, with 5X2 and 392.

Stephen C
Too small, my '85 LTD II wagon is bigger than that. I like to travel in quiet comfort, I haul a trailer, hate lugging or whining to the top of hills. The Olds or that fab Dodge is about right.

Man Randy Im jealous of you and your rust free climate. That Ranchero would be a big rustbucket if it were in Ohio. Im sure you could squeeze a 302 under the hood if you wanted more power too.;)

Well, it came from a rustfree area. I live 6 blocks from an active shore, in winter, sea salt coats everything. I have lots to do in the way of rustproofing, it is already showing signs that action needs to be taken and soon.
A V8 would be nice, I'm a fan of horsepower. The 302 is the same block size as the 289 the Fords had, a swap is fairly easy.

Well, it came from a rustfree area. I live 6 blocks from an active shore, in winter, sea salt coats everything. I have lots to do in the way of rustproofing, it is already showing signs that action needs to be taken and soon.
A V8 would be nice, I'm a fan of horsepower. The 302 is the same block size as the 289 the Fords had, a swap is fairly easy.

With just a few more mods a 351 will fit.

'Centric,
Been there, done that Scout thing. That old one is still sitting in the same spot, still covered in the shed. That big ass snag is still there too, too bad the son is not around to conduct business. The 'Binder I want is a early '70s, medium cabover, with 5X2 and 392.

Too bad that old guy passed on before you could make that deal happen. Gotta be some way to rattle that son's cage over the Scout/Redwood snag thing. Some day we should enjoy a few cold PBR's and show up at his doorstep with some old gear drives. Make him a deal he can't refuse!

You'd enjoy the hell out of a V8 Travelall. They're a lot more comfortable than a Scout, especialy the 2WD versions with the independant front ends. From 1969-1975 both independant and I-Beam fronts were available in 1/2ton and 3/4ton 2WD Travelalls and pickups. I hear you on the desire for a C.O.E. International truck ( called a Cargostar after around 1969 or so). They are super cool. There's a roofing company in Petaluma that used to have about 1/2 dozen of them (and one or two of the mid-'60s Loadstar C.O.E.'s). All dump trucks. Now they're down to one or two Cargostars. I'm gonna grab one the next time they put one up for sale if at all possible.

A landscaping supply outfit in Petaluma also has around 1/2 dozen bobtail Cargostar dumps, and they all appear to be powered by turbocharged Perkins diesels. They have a neat sound when they fire them up in the morning. Used to hear them when I was waiting for the bus to SF.

A couple of years ago, I just missed out on a late-'60s Loadstar 1600 (non-cabover) with a 345 or 392 and a direct-fifth 5-speed with a 2-speed rear end. Could have got it for $500.:bang: They come up from time to time. A Cargostar like you described would be tits.

The 289 I had in my '66 Bronco moved it around quite easily, even when heavily loaded. It was just a stock 200hp/282ft-lbs 2-barrel C-code. Lots of gains to be had with a few parts changes. A stock '68-71 2V 302 had 200hp and 300ft-lbs. They cut the nuts off in '72. Took away about 50+ hp. Lower compression pistons, and a timing set that retarded the camshaft 4 degrees. All things that can be changed. Also, I have an A4OD overdrive auto sitting in the garage that you can have if you wanna swap in a Ford SB V8 and keep running an automatic. LMK before the next time I head up.........which will be for the next PNW GTG (or sooner hopefuly) so I can haul it up...

With just a few more mods a 351 will fit.

Yep. A 351W/5.8L would indeed work with a few minor changes. Big power...:givebeer:

Last edited:
My buddy has one of these sitting in his back field. Same color and all. His is in really good shape, but the frame rails have some rot. The body is in good shape though, floorboards and all.

6069.jpg

wigglesworth

That's a real nice wagon that green baby!Very stylish fo sure.I think it's older than a 65,am I right?
Lawrence

We had a blue '67 Bel Aire wagon, 283 powerglide, the thing was a tank. The wagon I miss most was my Dad's '72 Ford LTD, it had every option including the 428 V8, all it needed was a tailgunner.

Be Your Own Tailgunner...

We had a blue '67 Bel Aire wagon, 283 powerglide, the thing was a tank. The wagon I miss most was my Dad's '72 Ford LTD, it had every option including the 428 V8, all it needed was a tailgunner.

Didja know that most Travelalls have a power rear window? Just push the button, then you can turn around on your nice comfy bench seat and fire your Dragoon through the rear window. "I told you not to tailgate me you lace-panty wearin' XXXXXXXXXXXX"...:censored:

When I was in HS, one of my friends had access to his Dad's '71 Travelall (2WD 1010 1/2 Ton with the IFS front end and a 392 with a 727TF auto). We made good use of the electric rear window for 'mooning', and misc. other juvinile behavior that I'm not at liberty to discuss...:cheers:

Hah ha, I recognize such behavior, LOL, oh yeah.

Travelalls, I haven't seen one on the road in some time. Besides the old Scout my Dad let me have, I drove several IHs, buses, trucks, 6 packs, they were strong and durable. Well, at least after whatever was going to rattle off, rattled off. What was with the window cranks, most of them ended up in the glove box, tossed in there after they came off the door, in your hand.

Hah ha, I recognize such behavior, LOL, oh yeah.

Travelalls, I haven't seen one on the road in some time. Besides the old Scout my Dad let me have, I drove several IHs, buses, trucks, 6 packs, they were strong and durable. Well, at least after whatever was going to rattle off, rattled off. What was with the window cranks, most of them ended up in the glove box, tossed in there after they came off the door, in your hand.

Those damn window cranks...

They're usualy held on a short, course-splined shaft by a set screw (or sometimes a small phillips screw that goes through the handle and threads into the window regulator shaft). Most of the time it's just the setscrew (or phillips screw) that vibrates loose (or completely out) Sometimes, the splined bore in the handle breaks out. More often, somebody gets pissed at the damn setscrew for backing out (yet again) and they crank the living heck out of it......stripping out the hole (whether in the handle or in the end of the regulator shaft). I've also seen the splined end of the window regulator shaft round off. I believe IHC sourced their window regulators and handles from GM...:censored:

Oh, and one of my parts Scout II's has a "honk if anything falls off" sticker on the tailgate...:confused:

Last edited:
Well, atleast we can make fun of the Dodges.
I had use of my Uncle's old Powerwagon, I think it was a 1962, it had the slant six, we called it the "Powergone". It had panels from other Dodges, in three colors, the tailgate was light blue, most of the truck was dark green, left front fender was yellow, driver's door was a faded red. My Dad got tired of welding the muffler back on and routed the whole works through the right front fender behind the wheel. LOL My Dad's fixes, classic. I met my first wife while flogging the old beater through that Rocky fellers forest, about ran her ass over. She had done something, that I found out soon enough, was just her way of doing things. Anyway, Lora saw something she wanted to take a picture of, pulled over and got out, completely forgeting to set the brake, take it out of gear or shutting it off. It continued off without her. I still have the picture in my mind of her standing in the middle of that narrow road, yellow sundress, big camera in her hands, staring at her Wagoneer as it idled several feet from the pavement, nose down in the ferns. LMAO. I careened around a Redwood to see that vision. I was on my way to Eureka with a buggered clutch drum off an old yarder, it needed a few pounds of welding done. I just barely missed her, she was completely unaware that she came very close to being a hood ornament. I dragged the Jeep back on the road, and spent ten minutes trying to get away from her, it wasn't happening. Christ All Mighty, the woman just wouldn't leave off it, all I could think about was getting back to clippin' the mirrors on tree trunks. Then the breeze shifted, a nose full of warm girl scent, nearly sheer fabric flowed about her, I couldn't think about anything else.
where was I? Oh yeah, making fun of Dodges.

When I was a tiny tot Grandpa retired and moved to FLA. When he died my dad went down there to close up his estate. When he got home he said Grandpas old Ford had rotted from the top down. Took me years to figure out what he meant.:)

Back