Steiner logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arch37-jpg.349824

Shoulda been a fine beverage in the convenient holder for a counter balance ....LOL

Well it certainly would have given him the counterbalancing force to offset from being sucked into the remnant of the Polar Vortex as he drove by it .
speaking of polar vortex and cold black holes, I found one 2 days ago with the 4 wheeler and wide tired woods trailer with a 1/3 cord of dry red oak..... sunk to the axels on both with out warning!....lol

We have too many properties with low hanging branches for the roll bars. My wife was almost hurt very bad a few years ago, we used to use a cube van to haul our ZTR lawnmowers. We had 2 identical mowers, one with roll bar and one without, she drove the wrong one into the van and the roll bar caught on the door. She was lucky she was just idling and it stalled.
Got the load cut into rounds, used the 660 and the 360. Just cut everything into length on the trailer then pull it out of the pile. I might have shined up abit of steel on one bunk though.
arch38.jpg arch39.jpg

That almost looks like poplar - hard to tell through pictures sometimes though.

I do wood like that sometimes too - buck right on the trailer. But when I do, when loading, I first put a couple pieces length wise, then couple pieces on those cross wise, then load up on top of those. Slightly crooked ones so they & the load won't roll around. Gets the wood up further away from the trailer & metal & reduces chances of dulling the chain on a bunk. Junking right on the trailer is a great time & work saver - especially if that can then be combined with splitting right off it.

I own a 430 mac as well as a 31turbo Ventrac. Steiner sets in the shed with about 300 hrs on it and the ventrac hr meter broke at around 2000hrs. I guess you can figure out which I like better.
Anyways, to prevent the Steiner from trying to turn over all the time, add some weights to the blade on the front. The blade by itself isnt enought to keep the steiner from pulling the front wheels off the ground when pulling hard. And when the front wheels are off the ground, the durn thing has a tendency to want to articulate whether you want it to or not. Put weight on both ends and it will pull the handle out of a maul, but no weight in front and it will flip over backwards.

You might consider having the hitch on the log arch pivot to where it won't be able to twist the hitch on the tractor. Cut the tubing & weld in a couple pieces of plate which are bolted together so they will turn is all it takes.

Oliver, I had planned on doing that but the old git-r-dun took over.
Mudd the blade is 1/4 steel plate so it's pretty heavy, I was being lazy not having the weights on correctly and I was just asleep at the switch, when you are driving a Steiner on hill you better be awake.

Cantoo, I am pretty sure that is not hickory. My guess would be Elm of some sort. Cottonwood has deeper bark fissures.

Did some more hauling out using the Steiner and a smaller wagon I built. Wood is all deadfalls that I cut into 6 to 12' lengths as it laid in the bush, I then drove along the trail and threw it on the wagon. We might split this stuff in half and sell it as ready to burn campfire wood, just not sure if I want to bother with it though. I cut it all at 16" so we could sell it as heating wood too. Wood is mostly ash. The buzz saw sure works good and is easier on the back, I really should use it more. I've been thinking of taking it right into the bush and buzzing where the stuff lays but bush is actually pretty tight. The pictures are very deceiving it's also very hilling, just small 3' hills but using the Steiner they are deep and steep enough.
arch40.jpg arch44.jpg arch46.jpg arch47.jpg arch48.jpg arch51.jpg arch52.jpg

Did some more hauling out using the Steiner and a smaller wagon I built. Wood is all deadfalls that I cut into 6 to 12' lengths as it laid in the bush, I then drove along the trail and threw it on the wagon. We might split this stuff in half and sell it as ready to burn campfire wood, just not sure if I want to bother with it though. I cut it all at 16" so we could sell it as heating wood too. Wood is mostly ash. The buzz saw sure works good and is easier on the back, I really should use it more. I've been thinking of taking it right into the bush and buzzing where the stuff lays but bush is actually pretty tight. The pictures are very deceiving it's also very hilling, just small 3' hills but using the Steiner they are deep and steep enough.

That's about perfect firewood there. You can knock out small diameter ash like that about faster than anything else I think.

I only cut some ash here, not much, I don't want to cut much as we don't have that ash borer yet. but it is my all time favorite all around firewood.

We have lots of ash around here but it's all dying out. The owner of the land I'm cutting on also has 100 acres across the road with a 5 acre bush of ash on it. They marked all the trees a few years ago but he's not interested in cutting in, too busy on other projects. Build 25 or so turkey barns this year alone, bit of a big guy in the turkey business here and Michigan soon. The 6 barns they are building beside me are going to be egg laying barns, the eggs are going to Michigan to hatch out. I'm hoping to get in on that bush too.

We have lots of ash around here but it's all dying out. The owner of the land I'm cutting on also has 100 acres across the road with a 5 acre bush of ash on it. They marked all the trees a few years ago but he's not interested in cutting in, too busy on other projects. Build 25 or so turkey barns this year alone, bit of a big guy in the turkey business here and Michigan soon. The 6 barns they are building beside me are going to be egg laying barns, the eggs are going to Michigan to hatch out. I'm hoping to get in on that bush too.

Well, that's cool then, you'll get loads of wood for the taking and some gobbler as a bonus!

I own a 430 mac as well as a 31turbo Ventrac. Steiner sets in the shed with about 300 hrs on it and the ventrac hr meter broke at around 2000hrs. I guess you can figure out which I like better.
Anyways, to prevent the Steiner from trying to turn over all the time, add some weights to the blade on the front. The blade by itself isnt enought to keep the steiner from pulling the front wheels off the ground when pulling hard. And when the front wheels are off the ground, the durn thing has a tendency to want to articulate whether you want it to or not. Put weight on both ends and it will pull the handle out of a maul, but no weight in front and it will flip over backwards.

Ha! Got to be more than one guy here wondering what you might want for that Steiner?

Back