Steiner logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago the local Steiner dealer brought his biggie with hydraulic motor drive to the garden tractor pull. In anticipation of all his new customers he went around and told everybody how badly he was going to beat them. Hooked it up and it sat there and it roared without budging anything not even spinning the tires. Without looking in anyone's direction he retracted, reloaded it on his trailer and split. All these years later I haven't seen him or it there since even as a spectator. Too much for his hydraulics.

Ha! Got to be more than one guy here wondering what you might want for that Steiner?

I have a friend who mowed grass with his Steiner for quite a few years, then he tried out a zero turn, I haven't seen his Steiner out of his shed since, as he has tractors for bigger jobs... It's Kubota diesel powered, I should ask him if it's for sale...

SR

I have a friend who mowed grass with his Steiner for quite a few years, then he tried out a zero turn, I haven't seen his Steiner out of his shed since, as he has tractors for bigger jobs... It's Kubota diesel powered, I should ask him if it's for sale...

SR

One of the mowers I use is one of those, a zd326. It kicks grass booty. And driving it is like thought control.

I wouldn't want a steiner for yard mowing really, just the way it is built for snaking through the woods.

Made a few changes to the new one. Made it with a sliding tongue so I can load long pieces on both trailers. New one has taller tires and taller stakes so I can haul more on it. Going to be a good haul for the Steiner but will save time driving back and forth.
arch55.jpg arch56.jpg arch54.jpg arch57.jpg

The bush I'm cutting out of is surrounded by winter wheat so I decided I needed to clean the fenceline so I can get back there to cut and maybe haul some stuff out. Lots of big trees (5' across) thorn trees, small hardwoods and shrubs that are in my way. Big trees can't be moved or cut but the little stuff needed to go. IO decided I needed a prong to cut the roots to get the stumps out of the way. I was gonna to start from scratch but then decided I might as well use my forks for a carrier. Couple different trees in the pics but the 10" one took about 10 minutes to cut off one side and pop out. I used a piece of 1/2"x 8" plate for the top, sharpened to a point. 1/2"x 4" bar for underneath the rear to hold it together, 3/8"x 8" plate for the front of the forks to fit into and a chain to hold it to the carrier. Sure is a lot easier way to dead with thorn trees too. Later when the wheat is off and the weather is wet I will use my grapple and pile them up to burn. Disregard my wife's equipment on the fenceline, she has issues. I'm planning to use it in the bush to get stumps off the 4 wheeler trails too.
2014-05-31 16.22.13.jpg 2014-05-31 17.39.23.jpg 2014-05-31 17.39.50.jpg 2014-05-31 17.42.48.jpg 2014-05-31 18.04.37.jpg 2014-05-31 18.04.46.jpg

I also did some in the bush clearing so I can start to stockpile logs to haul out when the crop is off. I decided I might as well pull a load home to see how the trail works. I also have to fix a Steiner tire now too, someone drove over one of the thousands of thorns that are laying around. And the more I use my loader grapple the more I hate it, I better sell it soon or it's going to get cut apart and made the right (my) way. It's too wide for what I need to use it for. It's too heavy for my style of tractor, you can pick up anything when the backhoe is on however for wood work I don't have anything on the back and it's constantly lifting the rear wheels off the ground. It doesn't open wide enough. The curved tines are a pain to pick up logs with. You pretty much have to use the clamp to pickup anything.
Lots of blowdowns already.
IMG-20140601-01333.jpg
The next section is really thick and going to be a lot of work, lots of cedar. I'm going straight though the middle of the pic. I'm trying to get to the main part of the bush where I've already been working, it's a lot drier area. This whole area gets flooded in the spring from field runoff.
IMG-20140601-01336.jpg IMG-20140601-01338.jpg
IMG-20140601-01340.jpg
Kinna run up a tree abit trying to get bush into the bush. This would be where I, oops someone got the thorn. IMG-20140601-01342.jpg
My wife got there just in time to point out the flat tire to me. IMG-20140601-01343.jpg
Security team heading back after securing the bush. The little dog was on her lap. And the crappy grapple.
And I cut up the load just to remind me how sore my IMG-20140601-01347.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20140601-01345.jpg
    IMG-20140601-01345.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 22
Today was a tough day, I should have just quit after the 1st tree. I was using my 260 and cutting a 10" poplar, there was a stone pile that the tree was going to fall on. I knew that the tree would bounce up and roll towards me so I was ready for it. Unfortunately for the 260 the tree was faster than I was. the tree fell exactly where I thought and bounce up and came towards me as I stepped back out of the way, however I stumbled and sacrificed the saw as I fell. the darn log fell on the saw, breaking the handle and pizzing me off something fierce. A dozen trees later I was cutting the 2nd sister off of a set of sisters went the darn thing split in half and jambed the saw but only for a second then the tree slide down and bent the bar.
Oh well I have a few extra bars but have to order a handle.
IMG_00000098.jpg IMG_00000098.jpg IMG_00000097.jpg

I can feel your pain. I was digging with a back hoe & the cast iron mount where it pivots side to side broke dropping the whole boom assembly off tearing all the hoses loose. Fortunately the bucket was being pulled forward in the trench so it stayed in place. You could tell it had been cracked for a while, just in a location you couldn't see. The owner just shrugged his shoulders & said, "lets get it out of the hole, it's history, I wouldn't begin to know where you could find another casting." Only had 30 feet to go. We were trying to beat the rain but it didn't happen.

Finally took the time to try out my cone splitter on long wood. Dismal failure to say the least. I was hoping to be able to split either 12' long logs and cut them into 48" with my buzzsaw. Or split 48" logs at least. Neither idea worked so onto the selling block it goes. I was gonna try it on my post hole digger but it just isn't worth the time to try it.
1st - shows the Unicorn splitter on my tractor.
2nd - shows splitter cone, it's not big enough and too aggressive. Especially on my tractor without live pto.
3rd - splitting 4' piece, you can see it isn't big enough to split it all the way.
4th - same piece and split jambbed.
5th - 12' long poplar log. Split nice but bottomed out before it split all the way.
6th - And the pto came off when I tried to drive ahead to free it. Real handy.
7th - split it about 4' into the log, came apart nice but bottomed out too soon.
8th - shows the cone bottomed out.
9th - shows after I cut the split out. You can see how far the cone goes in.
Oh well, guess I have to build a 48' splitter now.
IMG_00000434.jpg IMG_00000435.jpg IMG_00000439.jpg IMG_00000440.jpg IMG_00000444.jpg IMG_00000445.jpg IMG_00000446.jpg IMG_00000447.jpg IMG_00000450.jpg

Back