step up from a MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilraine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have right now a Husqvarna 40 and a MS290 right now.. the 290 is muffler modded and still doesn't have the power I want/need.. I have been cutting mostly larger maple and oak for firewood, usually about 10-15 cords a year...what would you guys recommend for a larger saw.. I would like to stay with stihl or Husqy...jred and dolmar don't have the dealer support around here.. I'm gonna be spending 6-800 dollars....thanks

Wow, used, you can buy just about any model of saw you want. New, every pro saw from Husky and Stihl in your price range are nice saws. Everyone has their own favorite. I suggest you go to the dealer and pick the one you like the best.

Stihl ms440 or ms441; Husky 372xp; Univent 372xp (souped up husky, while they last at Bailey's); Dolmar 7900......any one should put a big grin on you face:givebeer: :greenchainsaw:

i tried out a husky 570 this past weekend, wasn't broke in yet, 68cc just under 15lbs not much heavier than the 290 and 1.1 hp more. i liked it but it's hard for me going from my modded jonny to a stock saw. but i did like the fact it is way better on fuel than my jonny and lighter too. 680.00 or so with a 18" 3/8 .50 chain, sure your dealer can do better though.

what about the MS660.. I know its a big saw, but my dealer has one used for 600.. he sold it a year ago and the guy traded it for a 361...I don't mind the weight, I haul 100 pound sacks of grain and bales of hay every day.. any disadvantages to going bigger than I need???

any disadvantages to going bigger than I need???

Boy now there's a loaded question for here.
Get the 660 and keep your 290 and don't look back.

Get the 660 as long as it was in decent shape. Its a good buy just remember that you could also get a brand new ms460 and know every minute that was put on the saw. From a 290 it would feel like a 600 hp big block in your hands.:chainsaw:

The modded 290 should have about the same power as a 361 stock. So you have to go to a 440 (more or less the same AV as the 290) or a 460. A 441 if you want the AV and better gas milage. The 660 is a HUGE jump. Heavy saw, probably bigger than you need. Personally I think that the 440 is a sweet saw, and the king of saws in the logging areas that I lived around in central OryGun. No longer made, but you can find them on CL for pretty good prices now (if you jump on them FAST).

The modded 290 should have about the same power as a 361 stock. So you have to go to a 440 (more or less the same AV as the 290) or a 460. A 441 if you want the AV and better gas milage. The 660 is a HUGE jump. Heavy saw, probably bigger than you need. Personally I think that the 440 is a sweet saw, and the king of saws in the logging areas that I lived around in central OryGun. No longer made, but you can find them on CL for pretty good prices now (if you jump on them FAST).

I realize the 660 is big, but IMO the fuel usage is not a consideration for me.. I take 6 gallons out when we go cut as it is, i rarely use more than 1.5 in a day...5 gallons of 93 in the big can and 1 of premix at a time... even if I double the amount of fuel I use,I'll be fine.... according to my catalog the 660 is 3 pounds more than the 290... is 3 pounds really that big a difference???

If you're tossing around bails and grain sacks, no it's not. The price sounds reasonable, just ask him to pressure/vac test the saw and reset the carb (2800/13.5K) before you walk out...and ask for a few freebies (chains and files).

I would have suggested the 460, but you have a good deal sitting there in front of you. Grab it and enjoy!

hey if you dont mind the size enjoy just use your head cutting. My question why did the guy bring it back? I would never trade that saw in :greenchainsaw:

I realize the 660 is big, but IMO the fuel usage is not a consideration for me.. I take 6 gallons out when we go cut as it is, i rarely use more than 1.5 in a day...5 gallons of 93 in the big can and 1 of premix at a time... even if I double the amount of fuel I use,I'll be fine.... according to my catalog the 660 is 3 pounds more than the 290... is 3 pounds really that big a difference???

The 660 weights about 4 pounds (or 30%) more than the 290 with the power head and a filled larger fuel tank. That is 4 more pounds of saw to wrestle with, but... the main issue for me with the 660 was the power. A 660 has about twice the horsepower of the 290. And twice the torque. After an hour using a 660 once I was tired. It was a bear to manage in a cut for me. I lived on a sheep farm then and lifted a heck of a lot of hay bails around (2 and 3 strand bales). I was in fighting shape.

After 4 years of fairly steady chainsaw work, I found that I would use the lightest saws that I could get away with for the job. Again, in this area, the main goto saws that most loggers I know are the 440 or the 372XP. Big enough to do the job, small enough to manage all day long, day in and day out. Its a compromise. If you are a big young guy and have good stamina, then maybe the 660 is the one to get. But if you are used to running a 290, a 660 is a BIG JUMP in size, weight and power.

Last edited:
The 660 weights about 4 pounds (or 30%) more than the 290 with the power head and a filled larger fuel tank. That is 4 more pounds of saw to wrestle with, but... the main issue for me with the 660 was the power. A 660 has about twice the horsepower of the 290. And twice the torque. After an hour using a 660 once I was tired. It was a bear to manage in a cut for me. I lived on a sheep farm and lifted a heck of a lot of hay bails around (2 and 3 strand bales).

After 4 years of fairly steady chainsaw work, I found that I would use the lightest saws that I could get away with for the job. Again, in this area, the main goto saws that most loggers I know are the 440 or the 372XP. Big enough to do the job, small enough to manage all day long, day in and day out. Its a compromise. If you are a big young guy and have good stamina, then maybe the 660 is the one to get. But if you are used to running a 290, a 660 is a BIG JUMP in size, weight and power.

Nicely said!!!! :clap:

The 660 weights about 4 pounds (or 30%) more than the 290 with the power head and a filled larger fuel tank. That is 4 more pounds of saw to wrestle with, but... the main issue for me with the 660 was the power. A 660 has about twice the horsepower of the 290. And twice the torque. After an hour using a 660 once I was tired. It was a bear to manage in a cut for me. I lived on a sheep farm then and lifted a heck of a lot of hay bails around (2 and 3 strand bales). I was in fighting shape.

you have a very good point, I passed on the 660, but I got a 371xp off craigslist cheap...

Last edited:
Good saw, good choice, good size, and I have to go along with the good prices on CL lately. The 371 seems to be about the same saw as the 372, and they have about the same power as the 440. All three of these saws have semi-legendary status now. The 372 is the one saw in the Husky lineup that I have been eyeing myself. And I am a StillBilly Stihlhead.

Latest posts

Back