Stihl 009 - Going to try again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwood

Windwood Custom Woodworking
Reaction score
I've had this 009 laying around for years. It's been lightly used and was running pretty strong when I gave up on it. I think it was 10 years ago I dropped it off to be repaired and was told it was not worth it. So I put it on the shelf. Recently, I decided to revisit this saw or pitch it. It was taken to be repaired once, I got it back, it ran for a short period then quit. I took it to a different place and I think I recall the guy saying it needed an ignition module or coil but not sure. Both places were authorized Stihl repair facilities.
Anyway, I thought I would start with a new fuel line, filter, plug, and ignition module. I would just like to know where is the best place to deal with and if anyone has any other suggestions on what else I might want to look at to get it back up and running and maybe which are the best parts to buy.

I've cleaned it since these pics and it's much nicer looking. LOL

Attachments

• SAM_6209.jpg
    SAM_6209.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_6210.jpg
    SAM_6210.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_6211.jpg
    SAM_6211.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_6217.jpg
    SAM_6217.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 19
I have the 009L and like the saw very much. IIRC it has points as well. As long as the piston and cyl are in good shape the rest is not too bad. if you need any help just PM

Thanks, Rockjock. Any advice on carb cleaning? tank cleaning? What's a good place to shop for parts?

I have the 009L and like the saw very much. IIRC it has points as well. As long as the piston and cyl are in good shape the rest is not too bad. if you need any help just PM

Pretty sure the 009L never had points. The label on Windwood's saw says "electronic" so there is no points in the saw.

Thanks, Rockjock. Any advice on carb cleaning? tank cleaning? What's a good place to shop for parts?

If that saw was mine the first step would be to confirm if it has spark. If it has then clean the carby if it has not then you need to find a replacement ignition module. They should be available from your Stihl dealer but they will be expensive. I would try ebay or craigs list.

Pretty sure the 009L never had points. The label on Windwood's saw says "electronic" so there is no points in the saw.

If that saw was mine the first step would be to confirm if it has spark. If it has then clean the carby if it has not then you need to find a replacement ignition module. They should be available from your Stihl dealer but they will be expensive. I would try ebay or craigs list.

I just looked and you are right ! Sorry peeps what was labeled at 009 coil is actually a Husqvarna 44 coil and points.

Ultrasonic bath is the way to go IMO. Getting a OEM carb kit will set you back about 7 bucks.

Have you tried a dribble of fuel down the carb throat to make sure it fires?

Latest posts

Back