Stihl 009L purchase decision?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys. I've got a Stihl 009L that someone is selling for $45. He says it will run, but he hasn't started it in 2 years. Approximately 12 years old. Need to call him tomorrow morning. Would like to take a look at it, but know you guys have experience with this model and was looking for advice on a $45 saw. Worth taking a look at? Thanks. (I figure $45 for a saw if it runs buy it, unless it looks like its been abused and trashed, right?)

Yeah thats a pretty good price on an 009L. I know a few tree service guys used them as a cheap top handle stihl alternative ...and personally think they make pretty decent camp saws (009-012's).

What's the L for on the 009? I looked at the Stihl manual for the 009. Just curious what the L is. Thanks. $45, if it's in good shape, worth it to buy?

I'm not positive, but i believe it stands for "Limbing". Yes in my opinion i think its worth it to buy for $45.

Guys. I've got a Stihl 009L that someone is selling for $45. He says it will run, but he hasn't started it in 2 years. Approximately 12 years old. Need to call him tomorrow morning. Would like to take a look at it, but know you guys have experience with this model and was looking for advice on a $45 saw. Worth taking a look at? Thanks. (I figure $45 for a saw if it runs buy it, unless it looks like its been abused and trashed, right?)

I still have one,and I used it for climbing for many years.It's a good saw,and tough.I would say $45 is a steal if it still runs right.

I would definetly buy the saw if it isn't beat to death. I just sold a barely used one on Ebay for 226 bucks, so they have a demand. I beat you will only have to pour gas in it or buy a carb rebuild kit. All of the Stihl's I have had have been this way. I guess I am just lucky or Stihl makes a good product.:)

we used them for years, the L is top handle (almost) the av is rear handle.
decent little saw, good camp or loaner saw. reed saw so it revs lower than you're prob used to, decent tq.
-Ralph

Back