Stihl 012AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, this is probably one of my least favorite saws, ranks almost right along side of the Mini Mac. Anyhow, I took one in trade on a Husky 350 that I had rebuilt. Guy told me it would run just not real well.

I did manage to get it started but it would cut out and die for no apparent reason. Every time it went dead it had fire but it did sound like (when running) an ignition problem. I knew my tester wasn't lying to me so I pulled the carb down and did find rock hard diaphragms along with a partially clogged screen so into the USC it went and a K20-WAT was installed along with fuel line and a new filter. It ran better but not to where I was satisfied.

Having eliminated (in my mind) any carb issue so I tried to vacuum check the saw and with the impulse oiling system I could not get it to hold a vacuum. Still had an erratic miss and would die for no apparent reason still. I have spent ~1.5 hours on the saw and had very little improvement.

At this point I'm ready for Tannerite but go ahead and pull the starter cover. Everything looked fine underneath and decided to apply 5PSI on the engine to see if either seal would bubble. I pulled the clutch side and it was perfect, no bubbles what so ever. I pulled the flywheel and this is what I found.................Now I know why it was traded in........Notice how NOTHING was visible unless the flywheel was off????????

attachment.php

I have a 012 av also. I love it,small, lite, 45cc and great for limbing and bucking the top of the trees. I have never had to work on it. I guess there a pain to work on. I`ll run it intell it goes bad I guess.

Back