Stihl 024 AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have found a Stihl 024 AVS in GOOD condition.
Is this saw a "REAL" pro model saw?

Thanks
David

I've kind of passed the hoarding phase of my chainsaw life, but if I found a good 024AVS, I'd definitely sccop it up. Good-running saws with really good anti-vibration for a saw its age.

I think he's asking if it's clamshell construction or not.
It's not, and I consider it to be a pro. quality saw.

Last edited:
My 024 runs better than my 260 pro.I just did a compression test on both to see what gives. The 024 has 160psi and 260 has 135 to 140psi.

My 024 Super also runs exceptionally strong,even buried in Oak,just has great torque.Is there any difference in the port timing, compression or something?

The difference between an 024 and an 024 Super is in the stroke. The super uses the same lower end as an 026, with the 024 piston-bore. This gives it about 45cc, versus 42cc with the 024. The longer stroke adds a little more torque. I own one and love it. I run it with a 325 chain, 16 inch bar, with an 8 tooth sprocket. It has had a muf-mod. 3 of my friends have 026's, and 2 of them say it has more speed. Enjoy it, but remember, it is NOT a 361 or 362.

The difference between an 024 and an 024 Super is in the stroke. The super uses the same lower end as an 026, with the 024 piston-bore. This gives it about 45cc, versus 42cc with the 024. The longer stroke adds a little more torque.

Correct. They both have the same size bore, just different stroke. Hence, the Decompression valve. They all use the .5mm head gasket, unlike the 026 which may use a 1mm gasket for the lower compression, non-pro version.

I have an 024av. Is this saw the same as the 024avs except for the head shim?

I am having a hard time getting the anti vibration rubber dampeners out of the fuel tank. If anyone can give me a tip on how to remove these rubber parts I would appreciate it. While I was trying to remove the back dampener I noticed that one of the front dampeners is missing and the other front dampener is starting to crack. I am trying to get these dampeners out so that I can replace the impulse line. My saw will run fine at full speed but will not idle. When the saw dies it has to be choked to get it to run so it appears to die due to lack of fuel.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a shop manual on line that I can use as a reference for working on this saw?

024 has a shorter stroke than the super, so it has a different crank and a different barrel.
They only have one front AV rubber and you can remove them with a screw driver or such. Just lever them out.
You also need a carb kit - your pump diaphragm is probably shot. Do some searching - lots of info on this series of saw & they are very easy to work on.

Go to the beg for manuals thread for your shop manual.

Al.

Thanks for the Replies

Thanks for the relpies and info.

The guy that has the 024 AVS did not know what the difference is between his AVS and my AV.

Now "I" do.:msp_thumbup:

Thanks
David

If you have an 024 av super then it's an easy swap as they share the same stroke as an 026. It would take some serious machine work to fit the 026 top end on an 024 av and probably not worth it.

i did the muffler mod on mine and it seemed to add a little more power after retuning it .....
i did see a bigbore kit for the 024 on ebay for like $55 bucks ....its from china so who knows if any good

Latest posts

Back