Stihl 025 Repair/Rebuild/etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a few views of the cylinder. It cleaned up but I am not sure how well.

INTAKE
IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

EXHAUST
IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

Do you think it is okay to run? If so, I have sourced a few pistons and maybe a spare saw for $70 or so. I'd really like to just invest in a new piston and call it done.

That's probably what I would do, but be sure you clean that cylinder up better than that. Don't hone it but run a little wet/dry sandpaper across the grooves, oil it a little before assembly and the rings will probably seat. I've seen them worse than that. Just be sure you check everywhere it can leak air so it won't run lean.

Just an Update

Looks like I am going to keep the cylinder. I cleaned it really well with some wet/dry like a palmer suggested. (did you know he makes some killer iced tea? The golfer Arnie tho. Goes good with Vodka...so I am told :cheers:). It seems in the pictures they make it appear to be really bad in a one or two spots.
I know this sounds corny but I ran my fingernail across the areas where it looks "rough" and the cylinder seems to be okay. I know it's not the best but..this is a $300 used saw and not my $700 MS361. Plus being out of work makes it tough to do everything I want like porting and fully adjustable carb so I can really :chainsaw:

Thanks for all the advice etc. I will update this once I get some more parts in. Someday tonight or tomorrow I will be posting a thread on machining the new Oregon Pro 91 bar to fit our Stihl style saw.

Here it is cleaned up waiting for some new parts from Northwood Saw.
-New Epsain Piston
-New crank seals

Ready For Cleaning
IMG_20110606_172952.jpg

Cleaned
IMG_20110607_161038.jpg

Pile of parts waiting patiently
IMG_20110605_175904.jpg

Man...I really hope it works out!!!!

If you got that cylinder cleaned up real...real good ....
dude...you deserve a shiny gold star by your name on class board!!

I really do hope this turns out well and cheap for ya!!!
Please keep us informed...

Yeah...the Arnold Palmer drink is 1 part iced tea...1 part lemonade...
and however many shots of vodka ya prefer mixed and stirred...
and served with shaved ice.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
It's now a running 025!!

Well guys I got the saw together today after a long week and long weekend. Finally some time for myself in the garage with this saw. Everything went together really well and the new piston and parts were great. Went through plenty of assembly lube...

New Parts! Thanks Northwood Saw! Two crank seals and new piston.
IMG_4791.jpg

Pretty nice piston for a non OEM component.
IMG_4792.jpg

Piston Assembled on conrod.
IMG_4799-1.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

"cheap" clam shell assembly back in :biggrin:
IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

Flywheel, Impluse, Clutch
I set the Air gap to .005 I assume that is okay?
IMG_4809.jpg

More...

Clutch side
IMG_4812-1.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

Front View
IMG_4814.jpg

Starter Cover and muffler
IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

Carb
IMG_4823.jpg

Final Touches:
IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

The bar is shot but it worked for my test cuts. I have that new Oregon Pro 91 that I am going to modify to fit this style saw. The chain it has is the Oregon version of the Stihl Picco minus the safety bumpers. It's Oregon 91 VXL mean looking stuff for such a little saw!

Chain and Video

Here is a view of the new Oregon 91 vxl. It's pretty nice looking stuff. I look forward to cutting with it.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

...and a :chainsaw: Video because everybody loves videos.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KEORwQMT28Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:msp_thumbsup:Lookin' Good dude!!:msp_thumbsup:
You must have done a good job on that cylinder clean-up...
It sure looked toasted to me!!
What kinda compression #'s you getting ??

Job well done and the pics are great!!
J2F

:msp_thumbsup:Lookin' Good dude!!:msp_thumbsup:
You must have done a good job on that cylinder clean-up...
It sure looked toasted to me!!
What kinda compression #'s you getting ??

Job well done and the pics are great!!
J2F

As soon as I can pick up a compression tester that works, I'll have some numbers for you. I was taking some test cuts today and at about the 3rd cut it was like someone hit the nitrous button and it just took off. The rings must have taken a seat.

Nice job on everything,saw,pics and video. You are the man. Nice to see someone else take the time to repair an 1123 series saw.:rock:

Thanks here's a :cheers: to that! Like I said earlier this is a great saw that I've cut many a trees up to clear roadways at the fire dept. with. That's why I wanted on for myself!!!

Hey, nice work there! That's a very clean-looking 025. I've got a lot of saws, many nice professional ones, but I have a soft spot for my modded 025, it runs sooo nicely. And you can't beat 'em for ease of maintenance..no special tools. Good deal! Now that you've done an 025, you'll have NO trouble with the 029 and all it's variants!

Hey, nice work there! That's a very clean-looking 025. I've got a lot of saws, many nice professional ones, but I have a soft spot for my modded 025, it runs sooo nicely. And you can't beat 'em for ease of maintenance..no special tools. Good deal! Now that you've done an 025, you'll have NO trouble with the 029 and all it's variants!

Thanks!

I just got an 025 for $5 -tossed in with a few commercial mowers I got for $80. So for $5 I will get some pics soon. PO said the oiler wasn't working properly. I will tear down soon-any advice on the oiler? I want to do a full rebuild like I did to my freebie 017.

I just got an 025 for $5 -tossed in with a few commercial mowers I got for $80. So for $5 I will get some pics soon. PO said the oiler wasn't working properly. I will tear down soon-any advice on the oiler? I want to do a full rebuild like I did to my freebie 017.

I cant say Ive seen an oiler have a mechanical failure. Most of the time the suctions plugged. Lets keep this thread going with the 025s!:clap:

Nice Work

I've had an 025 for nearly 20 years, from new. Great little saw - relatively cheap and nice light weight which is important if you're cutting all day.

I know the saw is in good condition - I've looked after it and it starts, idles and runs perfectly but I don't get much more than 100psi on my compression tester either. Don't know why....

Back