Stihl 025 Repair/Rebuild/etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an 025 for $5 -tossed in with a few commercial mowers I got for $80. So for $5 I will get some pics soon. PO said the oiler wasn't working properly. I will tear down soon-any advice on the oiler? I want to do a full rebuild like I did to my freebie 017.

I will double your money on that saw!!!! For the oiler, flip the saw over and take a look at the hose. Most times the whole is punctured and leaks oil or sucks air. It is a cheap and easy fix.

That price from the deal was ridicules. The "cheap" non Stihl ones from Northwood are THE SAME SEAL!!! I expected them to be some really cheap crap...nope!

Not the same but close. They are a millimeter or two thicker but a good seal. I have those on my MS250 and have not had a problem after 5-6 tanks.

I will double your money on that saw!!!! For the oiler, flip the saw over and take a look at the hose. Most times the whole is punctured and leaks oil or sucks air. It is a cheap and easy fix.

Thanks Rookie, K5 and sef. i will check it out. I will get somoe pics of the $5 025 as well:blob2:

New Bar and Chain

So I had this Oregon Pro 91 bar lying around and the new 91 vxl chain. Well the chain does run on the Picco bar but doesn't fit 100%. I've read some threads about the picco, 3/8 lo pro, vs reg. 3/8 chain. It seems the pitch is not the same. I still want to run the 3/8 lo pro on the picco sprocket. It looked like I had 3 drivers contacting so I made modifications to get a 56 link driver bar to work with a 55 link chain on the Stihl 025.

Difference in length. The Picco 55 driver length bar (16'') is on the bottom.
IMG_4790.jpg

Difference at the rear of the bar when you align the adjuster hole up with the two bars.
IMG_4787.jpg

Then here is the finished product as you can see how the ends were cut off the bar and the edges tapered to allow the chain to guide up the bar. Before the long tail of the pro 91 bar was touching the sprocket. Now this gives guys who want to run 3/8 lo pro without a safety bumper on the correct bar on our style saw!!!

IMG_20110623_163740.jpg

I will be curious to see what type of life I get out of this.
-K5

I added a nice safety sticker today that I had in my cabinet.
IMG_20110614_133238.jpg

Well since you asked...
It is not where I want it to be by any means. But the saw has only run for about 2-3 minutes. Yes I did go get a brand new tester, one that actually works.

IMG_20110614_133515.jpg

I'm surprised no one commented on compression. Looks low to me even with low hours on rebuild. I would have liked at least 140 and increasing to 150 after rings seat. Not sure comp will increase to that level from where you are now.
Bob

I cant say Ive seen an oiler have a mechanical failure. Most of the time the suctions plugged. Lets keep this thread going with the 025s!:clap:

Hey guys i am looking the saw (025) over in the next few days I have it semi-apart and it appeas everything is in order with the worm gear, oiler looks fine-how can I check the bar oiler hose, where is it and is the best way to get at it change it or clean it out (if that is the problem) as to why th ePO says the thing stopped oiling the bar. ( wonder if he checked the bar oil reservoir?)

What is the deal with the 42.5mm piston? I have a SN 230103883. I got it off ebay. is this the 42.5mm or the smaller piston? What is the cut off. It may help others too!:bang:

What is the deal with the 42.5mm piston? I have a SN 230103883. I got it off ebay. is this the 42.5mm or the smaller piston? What is the cut off. It may help others too!:bang:

Can't help with the cut off but if your old piston is what is listed below then it is 42mm.

"Replaces OEM part number 1123 030 2002"

Mic the O.D. of the piston it will be either 42 or 42.5 pretty simple easy measurement and that is what I had to do.

42.5mm piston

Thanks, mine is a 42mm. I have a good 42.5mm piston because i ordered it before i tore it appart

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a 42.5mm cylinder and put in on the bottom end of a 42mm saw?

I want to convert my old 025 to a 42.5mm saw. Is there anything I need to know?

As far as I know you can bolt the 42.5 top end on the 42 bottom end. I'll check tomorrow at work. Pretty sure they are just like the smaller clamshell poulan/husqvarna's where you can swap the top ends around on the different bottom ends. I still want to do the 026 onto the 024 i've heard talk about and need to look into more...

As far as I know you can bolt the 42.5 top end on the 42 bottom end. I'll check tomorrow at work. Pretty sure they are just like the smaller clamshell poulan/husqvarna's where you can swap the top ends around on the different bottom ends. I still want to do the 026 onto the 024 i've heard talk about and need to look into more...

Let us know. I need to get a 42.5mm cylinder for my 42 project saw but i still need to know if I need a 42.5 bottom end or if the 42mm will work. Thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell from the detailed parts lists and diagrams on the software at work and talking with the tech they should interchange no problem. He's never done it but it looks to be able to be done.

He also told me that he has done the 026 onto the 024 without an issue before and he has put 026 cranks in 024 chassis' and slapped an 026 top end on basically making an 026 in an 024 chassis, also if you have an 024 super all you need to do to make it an 026 is put an 026 top end on it, now back to your regularly scheduled entertainment! :hmm3grin2orange:

I just picked up a MS025 at the local small engine shop yestrday. THey began cannabalizing it. The flywheel and cluch cover are gone but besides that it is all there. I don't think I am going to fix it so if you need parts let me know.

The piston and cylinder look good through the exhaust port. I don't know the compressio because the flywheel is missing so I can't use the starter.
Bob

Let us know. I need to get a 42.5mm cylinder for my 42 project saw but i still need to know if I need a 42.5 bottom end or if the 42mm will work. Thanks in advance.

I've worked on several 025 and ms250 and the 42.5mm and 42mm cylinder are interchangeable.

I just picked up a MS025 at the local small engine shop yestrday. THey began cannabalizing it. The flywheel and cluch cover are gone but besides that it is all there. I don't think I am going to fix it so if you need parts let me know.

The piston and cylinder look good through the exhaust port. I don't know the compressio because the flywheel is missing so I can't use the starter.
Bob

Bob let me know if you want to give up the cylinder and possibly the muffler. Id love to port and mm my 025

If you think the Chinese junk will replace it, totally, then you need to get burned.....

Hope it happens.....

I get folks that have the balls to ask that if they buy a starter cheap, that the spring will work in their Stihl starter. fark em

Latest posts

Back