Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVROOKIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I visited my local stihl dealer today and he recommended a stihl 25.I told him i wanted a 16 in bar instead of the 18 for cutting smaller stuff.He told me it would cost $269 with a 16 in bar...is that a good price or is there anywhere online i can get one cheaper...I know he will do the service work for me but I, like everyone else wants the best deal they can get....thanks , the WVROOKIE:confused:

Stihl dealers will lose their affiliation if they sell online. Buy the 025 from your dealer. Sometimes we arfe penny wise and pound foolish. Even if you found the saw $10 cheaper elsewhere, would it be worth alienating your dealer?
He might just tack on a hidden $20 'jerk who bought online then brings his saw here for service' fee when it goes in for service. At the very least you would not receive any sort of preferred service if you bought elsewhere (and then rubbed it in his face).

Buy the MS250. You won't be disappointed. I like mine more and more. One you might want thing to think about, is if you're using it for mostly limbing you might want to go with the 18" bar just so you don't have bend over as far. Wife got mine for $300 even with tax and an extra chain.
Grateful

I have this 025 that I muffler modded and it really works well, however, I was wondering if a kit is made so that it will accept a 3/8 drum and rim? I tried an 026 clutch, but not only is it slightly bigger, but the oiler is different anyway. As for a no pro saw, I think it's a keeper.
John

Originally posted by Gypo Logger
I was wondering if a kit is made so that it will accept a 3/8 drum and rim?
John
Try this, Oregon part#100961X for an 025 model. Hope this helps.
its a rim and drum setup small spline but you can get a 3/8 pitch rim for that, its only a 6 or 7 tooth sprocket, but it'll work.

It is the best consumer saw Stihl has in it's lineup. If I had to buy a Stihl consumer saw it would be my choice. And evryone here know I don't like the Stihl line.

Thanks saw addict for the heads up on the P#. It's a great saw for limbing and falling polewood, plus I imagine it would bring in the firewood year after year.
John

Gypo if you cannot find one to fit 3/8 's gears , just get me a drum off of a 025 and i will machine it down and put a bigger spline from another drum on it and tig weld it together

Sounds good Ed, then we can use it to plunge out the heartwood behind the undercut of those 110" circ., DBH Interior Lucious White Pine who have at least 6 cubic metres of merchantable timber/stem.
Now We're Loggin'.
John

The 3/8" Picco 7 pin rim assembly for a 025 is Stihl part #1123-007-1001. The .325 is #1123-007-1003 for a 7 pin and 1123-007-1002 for a 8 pin. It is the same part for the 017 through the 025. Just think Jonh with the modded muffler you could pull a 8 pin .325.

Bill

My neighbor has an 025 that he has had for four or five years now and uses it to cut firewood with and all he heats with is wood. He has absoultly no other method for heating his house so you can get a good idea as to how much wood he cuts every year.

Hi Bill and Glen, thanks for #'s and diagram. I have a 9 pin 325, but its standard size, so Ed's idea of welding a spline on sounds good.
Ryan, how goes the Willock notch?
John

So you are saying that the white pine is 110 inches around at shoulder height on you , so that should be 2 and a half maybe 3 feet off the ground, and how many do you think your deere john will pull of these little trees and you still havenot found a tree that i cannot dump with a 20 inch bar

Hi John, I've been milling more than logging recently but the notch is still doing fine;)

Back