stihl 026 oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter300

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I recently bought a used stilh 026. I like the saw alot.
The saw is oiling the bar excesively. Apparently the scew to adjust the oil flow rate is missing. The whole where the screw was is deep and I can't see if there are any threads in it. Is it just the screw that I am missing or are there other parts that I am missing? Where can I see an expoded view of the saw? Where is the best place to buy the screw or part? I was wondering if anyone could help me out? Thanks.

Hole or not...you might not have an adjustable oiler. Only the 026-pro has the adjustable version.

I checked the saw, there is the insciption of a chain link with an oil droplet and the direction in which to turn the screw for more or less oil but there is no screw there. Why would they put the inscription there if the saw does not have the capability? How could I tell if I have the pro model or not? If not how is my saw inferior to the pro saw. Thanks for the response and your time.

The case is common, that's why it has the marks.

Inferior? na.. just drips a bit more oil but most like that.

I had called Stihl just before getting your reply. You are correct, they gave me the same answer you did. They also told me the pro model has the decompression valve which mine does not. I wanted the decopresion valve to make the saw start easier but I am stiHl (ha ha) happy with the saw. Thanks again for the help.

As Andy said, ALL 026s and 260s have the hole and markings. But only the Pro version has the adjustable oiler. You can add one to your saw if it bothers you bad enough.

How difficult is it to add and how costly? Can the decompression valve be added too? How difficult would that be?

How difficult is it to add and how costly? Can the decompression valve be added too? How difficult would that be?

I think you'll have to remove the clutch. Not sure. Other than that, it's just a simple bolt on. I don't know the price. Check eBay for used.

The decomp. Do you have a plug in your plasic where the decomp would go? Is there a plug screwed into the cylinder where it goes?

I think you'll have to remove the clutch. Not sure. Other than that, it's just a simple bolt on. I don't know the price. Check eBay for used.

The decomp. Do you have a plug in your plasic where the decomp would go? Is there a plug screwed into the cylinder where it goes?

There is no Plug in the plastic. I'll check and get back to you on the plug in the cylinder. Thanks again.

It's simple to add the hole to the plastic. i've done that myself. If you don't have the plugged hole in the cylinder, you can't add a decomp. A decomp is really pretty useless on the 026 though.

Does the decompression valve make it considerably easier to start the saw?

Not that it matters, but not all 026's have the hole for the adjustable oiler. Since he does have this hole he is good to go. The advantage of the adj. oiler is the oiler doesn't output oil unless the clutch is engaged. So at idle oil won't be puddling oil at idle with the adj oiler. As far as output goes the adj oiler at its max setting is comparable to the non adj oiler.

The pieces he will need will be

1) New clutch drum
2) Adjustable oiler and worm gear
3) A special bushing

I don't have part #'s here at work, but someone like ultra or andy would probably have em. If a sponsor doesn't have these parts I have a new adj. oiler at home I'd sell you reasonable.

Not that it matters, but not all 026's have the hole for the adjustable oiler. Since he does have this hole he is good to go. The advantage of the adj. oiler is the oiler doesn't output oil unless the clutch is engaged. So at idle oil won't be puddling oil at idle with the adj oiler. As far as output goes the adj oiler at its max setting is comparable to the non adj oiler.

The pieces he will need will be

1) New clutch drum
2) Adjustable oiler and worm gear
3) A special bushing

I don't have part #'s here at work, but someone like ultra or andy would probably have em. If a sponsor doesn't have these parts I have a new adj. oiler at home I'd sell you reasonable.

Yeah, only one of mine (3) has that hole. All 3 have fixed oilers with a worm screw
inside the pump housing, straight off the crank. Seems to me that it would be more sturdy, but me no tech wiz grande. Also it's a narrower contact surface on the clutch drum housing. I bought a newer style tang drive drum for $10 on ebay and ground it down till the notch was gone no prob I think. We'll see if the other dimensions are the same.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think any of mine (3) have that hole. All have a worm screw
inside the pump housing, straight off the crank. Also it's a narrower contact surface on the clutch drum housing. I bought a newer style tang drive drum for $10 on ebay and ground it down till the notch was gone no prob I think. We'll see if the other dimensions are the same.

LOL...never heard of anyone doing that before.

All of the other dimensions should be the same, but the adj oiler style drum is probably about twice as deep/thick as the non adj style. Do you want anymore to grind I have a bunch I'll send ya ;).

LOL...never heard of anyone doing that before.

All of the other dimensions should be the same, but the adj oiler style drum is probably about twice as deep/thick as the non adj style. Do you want anymore to grind I have a bunch I'll send ya ;).

More like somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8-3/16" I think. Heck I might be able to have a little niche retrofitting new parts for old saws! lolol

Latest posts

Back