stihl 026 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfe76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a piston with rings for an 026. Anyone have a new one or one in very good condition? Or, idea where best place to get one? I might need a cylinder also. thanks

thanks snelling, but I would like to avoid aftermarket if possible, but otherwise I will order one from bailey's, thanks.

I called bailey's. they are on back order, but I will probably still get it from there. thanks

brad, did you get response to my private message? not sure I did it right.

Quibble........

You can get genuine Stihl pistons for about the same price.... EMAIL me if you're interested...

It does not occur to some that any OEM part sold on ebay in bulk is not first quality.

If you buy a Stihl part that is not in it's original individual sealed packaging the chances are almost certain that the item did not meet spec hence was slated for destruction/recycle.

As far as after market goes, the guarantee is far superior to OEM new parts.

Something to think about

I will be listing an after market piston special shortly which I have tested personally and these pistons carry a one year guarantee.

I challenge anyone to show me a 1 year on any OEM piston for a chainsaw.

Warranty period is always a crock - just marketing.. covered by an internally assessed reserve fund. A week, month or year... doesn't matter.. A pro will put a homeowners use on a saw in few couple weeks. If a logging crew runs many pistons from several randomly selected production lots for a year, and tells me they are great, then I'd take note. And then the fine print - most say "doesn't cover normal wear and tear, and liability is only for the cost of a the replacement part".

Yes, it doesn't hurt to have a "long" warranty, but it's just not as relevent as many assume. Just quality..

And PES+... you have no idea where the pistons/rings/pins/clips I was refering to were sourced...

Last edited:
We just started importing pistons from Meteor out of Italy. It a very nice looking piston that I would compare with OEM Quality. They have been making pistons for over 50 years. While we have not tried to be the lowest priced as we still have a great value. Here's a link:

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Meteor_Piston_1668_p/meteor%201668%20piston.htm

I've always liked Tecomec pistons, but the range is very limited. If Meteor are the same or better quality, this is good news. I'll gladly pay more for quality, and if so.. your prices are quite reasonable.

One question: are these machined on the internal faces of the pin bosses?

Last edited:
One question: are these machined on the internal faces of the pin bosses?
Yes they are. I'll try to post some better pictures soon. Lakeside53, I will send you a piston to look at and evaluate at no charge and I'll pay the freight to send it back. Thanks Tony

Will these Meteor pistons fit in a MS-260?

How much is a cylinder for an MS-260 from Stihl, as opposed to the aftermarket?

You are right Andy

I have no idea where your mentioned piston is coming from but I stand by my statement regarding genuine Stihl QCed product.

I have had a few people bring me parts purchased from fleabay and craigs list with a gen-U-ine Stihl box with after market piston and cylinder in it.

Not that it matters Uwharrie but you are aware that many pistons that Meteor sells are made in India are you not?

The quality of the product is the only thing I bother to fuss with.

I have had a few people bring me parts purchased from fleabay and craigs list with a gen-U-ine Stihl box with after market piston and cylinder in it.

That a great idea -I can sell my genuine stihl parts boxs on Fleabay to "restockers"...:jawdrop:

And I must of missed SOMETHING

If you can set this guy up with genuine 026 pistons for close to $30 why would you be interested in $40 after market pistons Andy?

I have no idea where your mentioned piston is coming from but I stand by my statement regarding genuine Stihl QCed product.

Not that it matters Uwharrie but you are aware that many pistons that Meteor sells are made in India are you not?

The quality of the product is the only thing I bother to fuss with.

Answer to your Question is, All the Meteor Pistons I have imported for chainsaws are all manufactured in Italy not India. I have pistons from other suppliers from India as well as the far East and there's a difference in Quality. I do not speak of all manufacturers but of Golf and GB.

I have also used Tecomec Pistons and I know they are a quality product they just lack enough models to pick from. I have a long time friend that works at Tilton ( importer for Tecomec ) and they treat me very good. I would not hesitate to use their product and stand behind it.

I'm not attacking anyone's product just stating the Facts before me. Tony

If you can set this guy up with genuine 026 pistons for close to $30 why would you be interested in $40 after market pistons Andy?

My my... we are being argumentative tonight... none of your :censored: :taped: :censored: business, but as you asked.... and who said anything about $30? Oh, you did...:buttkick:

Because my Pes'ty little friend... there are many many pistons I do not have access to cheaply..... OEM is great for most repairs, but if I can get real quality at a lower price than my OEM cost, I'll seriously look at them. But I am picky... Tecomec has been the only aftermarket piston (to date) that I'll put in a saw and stand behind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back