stihl 026pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rprogers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can someone please tell me how to remove the head screws so i can split the crankcase on an 026pro?? my t-handle torx won't work and 1/4'' t27 socket won't fit. it's probably simple but i'm stumped......

How won't it work? Should be a t27, might have some crud in the bolt head. If torque's the issue, maybe a couple pieces of pipe on each side of your t-handle would make a good cheater. I've never had cylinder bolts that I couldn't break loose with just a t-handle, though.

I've never had cylinder bolts that I couldn't break loose with just a t-handle, though.

Me either... if you can get a sharp pick down to the torx head dig out any crud that might be in there. That might be keeping you from getting good leverage on it.

Like Tim said... should be able to do it with a T-handle T27.

Gary

Mine was gunked up with crud

The first time I pulled out the head bolts, they were caked with crud, but a little solvent (and some dental style picks) cleaned up the openings enough for the T27 long to fit just right. Good Luck...

Jason

the clearance around the screw heads is too close, the fins won't allow the t-handle torx to seat in the screw head and the clearance is too tight for the socket. hope this makes sense.

thought maybe stihl offered some kind of special tool i didn't know about to get these head screws out. guess i could just start breaking off fins but then i would just have an 026 with a scored piston and broken cylinder fins, oh well......

Don't bust off yer fins mang. I've never experienced what you are describing, so I'm sorry I can't be of any help.

Wiha makes a torx head T-handle with a "ball" on the end to get to spots where you need to tilt the torx-head in the screw head. Stihl prolly makes one too.

Gary

Last edited:
the clearance around the screw heads is too close, the fins won't allow the t-handle torx to seat in the screw head and the clearance is too tight for the socket. hope this makes sense.

Hold up there. You run your T27 driver down through the top of the head to the screws. See those holes in top of the head, thats where you stick your driver in to reach those screw heads. Sounds like your trying to get at them from the side of the cylinder.

Hold up there. You run your T27 driver down through the top of the head to the screws. See those holes in top of the head, thats where you stick your driver in to reach those screw heads. Sounds like your trying to get at them from the side of the cylinder.

Good point Champ... I assumed everybody knew that... oops!:D

Gary

when you get as old as me and your sight ain't as good as it used to be, obvious isn't always obvious. told you in previous thread it was something simple. you guys are lifesavers. rib me some more, i need it. :buttkick:

when you get as old as me and your sight ain't as good as it used to be, obvious isn't always obvious. told you in previous thread it was something simple. you guys are lifesavers. rib me some more, i need it. :buttkick:

HAHAHAHA! No ribbin' needed dude. Problem solved, and you can get that saw runnin'.

Good deal.:D :D :D

Oh yeah... Welcome to AS.

Gary

HAHAHAHA! No ribbin' needed dude. Problem solved, and you can get that saw runnin'.

Good deal.:D :D :D

Oh yeah... Welcome to AS.

Gary

So true there, no need for ribbin. He just didn't see the holes, tant no biggie. Yesterday I had a man walk in with a Stihl saw and tell me the clutch is gone. I asked him why he thought that. He said the chain won't turn. I reach up and pulled the chain break and click, problem solved. Happens all the time.

So true there, no need for ribbin. He just didn't see the holes, tant no biggie. Yesterday I had a man walk in with a Stihl saw and tell me the clutch is gone. I asked him why he thought that. He said the chain won't turn. I reach up and pulled the chain break and click, problem solved. Happens all the time.

Dats why you da champ!:rock:

Gary

Now it's my turn for a newbie question. What do you use to torque it all back together? I haven't seen a long enough socket-style T27 anywhere, online or in the real world. Do people skip the toque wrench and just go for "goon-n-tight" or what?

1/4 torque wrench with a Snap-On T27 driver. However I use the cheaper method myself, tighen them down with the hand and be happy..

Now it's my turn for a newbie question. What do you use to torque it all back together? I haven't seen a long enough socket-style T27 anywhere, online or in the real world. Do people skip the toque wrench and just go for "goon-n-tight" or what?

Stihl # 0812 524 2104 does the trick.

Back