Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is my next question. I've never dealt with the older style that has points. I see a ton of aftermarket ignition modules that seem to bypass the point setup, if I go that route do I have to replace the flywheel?

The 028's came with one of three size Pistons 42, 44, 46mm. What is the best way to tell what I have?

And third. I inherited the saw so know nothing about its past. When I got it was froze up, or when you pulled the rope it would not turn. I sprayed a decent amount of Arokroil through the spark plug hole and let it set for two days. Took the starter off too examine than reinstalled. The piston freed up and seems to hold that 140 pretty well.

That is my next question. I've never dealt with the older style that has points. I see a ton of aftermarket ignition modules that seem to bypass the point setup, if I go that route do I have to replace the flywheel?

The 028's came with one of three size Pistons 42, 44, 46mm. What is the best way to tell what I have?

And third. I inherited the saw so know nothing about its past. When I got it was froze up, or when you pulled the rope it would not turn. I sprayed a decent amount of Arokroil through the spark plug hole and let it set for two days. Took the starter off too examine than reinstalled. The piston freed up and seems to hold that 140 pretty well.
Can you pull the muffler and get some pics of the piston and cylinder?

Sounds good. I plan on keeping this one and selling off some of my cheaper stuff. Once this one is good to go I have a super to start on, that will be an interesting thread. Looking through the exhaust port I can see a piece of the piston has broken off.:omg:

But back to this one. Piston looks good to my novice eyes and the cylinder looks good to. So I'm feeling a little better about that. I have a carburetor and starter on the way, fuel filter and line has been replaced as well as the impulse line. The ignition module showed good spark but I've read they can be finicky so I'll find one from a 290.

Thank you! And if you have any more suggestions they are very appreciated.

Jason.

You need to measure the diameter of the bore or let us see the very top of the piston, the Super has a pop up on the piston dome, the regular 44 mm has a domed piston.

Top of the piston looks flat. It has a small dimple stamped in the middle and an arrow pointing towards the exhaust port. I tried to get a picture but without breaking it down I couldn't.
Here is a better picture of the coil.IMG_20170211_135124436.jpg

Top of the piston looks flat. It has a small dimple stamped in the middle and an arrow pointing towards the exhaust port. I tried to get a picture but without breaking it down I couldn't.
Here is a better picture of the coil.View attachment 557494
The wires going under the coil are to the points/cond.

Latest posts

Back