Stihl 031 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok this is what happens to this saw, maybe someone can help. When cold, saw starts and runs fine, when i shut it down for a few minutes say 5 and go back and try and start it, no luck will not start. Let cool off for a few hours will start and run fine untill i shut off. Same thing happens. Does anyone have any ideas????
Thanks in advance

I think it still has points the kill switch wire and the coil wire is still running under the flywheel and no it doesn't say electronic on the top of the handle under the 031 av

The first guess would be the condenser. It is located under the flywheel. Another option is to bypass the points and condenser. You can get either an atom or omega module to replace them. Go to google/yahoo or your favorite search engine and do a search for that. If you end the search with arboristsite, it will search on here first. There are probably 20 different threads on this topic.

Ok I was thinking about doing that any way. saw a video on you tube on how to replace so will go and do that
thanks

I'm thinking fuel related. If it is still running fine when you shut it off, probably not a spark issue. IMO don't get rid of the points unless you really have to.

runs fine as long as I don't shut it down. shut it down won't start until totally cooled down could be hours

Latest posts

Back