Stihl 032AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lly_duramax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I made my 2nd CAD purchase today at the local pawn shop. I picked up a Stihl 032AV with the Stihl plastic case for $150. This saw is in great condition and fired right up after a few pulls. The saw has an 18" bar and 3/8 pitch chain on it. I used it to cut about 10 blocks when I got home and it ran great but the chain could use a good sharpening. After I ran it I got to thinking that some of the older saws don't use a 50:1 mix like both my new ones. What ratio do I need to mix for this saw? I was also wondering if there is a number to tell what year mine was made? Thanks!

Stihl recommend 40:1 for this saw.

I made my 2nd CAD purchase today at the local pawn shop. I picked up a Stihl 032AV with the Stihl plastic case for $150. This saw is in great condition and fired right up after a few pulls. The saw has an 18" bar and 3/8 pitch chain on it. I used it to cut about 10 blocks when I got home and it ran great but the chain could use a good sharpening. After I ran it I got to thinking that some of the older saws don't use a 50:1 mix like both my new ones. What ratio do I need to mix for this saw? I was also wondering if there is a number to tell what year mine was made? Thanks!

Ive run 50:1 for years runs just dandy. Even ran my 41" bar in a 30" piece of wood cause some guys said an 032 wouldnt even be able to turn the chain. 032 is a great little saw.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QchIKVqgL3I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QchIKVqgL3I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ive run 50:1 for years runs just dandy. Even ran my 41" bar in a 30" piece of wood cause some guys said an 032 wouldnt even be able to turn the chain. 032 is a great little saw.

Wow want to try that on my ms170 !!
Jeff

I dressed the bar and sharpened the chain this morning and cut some pine and some yellow locust with the 032. I can't believe how good this thing runs for a 51 cc saw. It is loud as hell too...... I kinda like it.:greenchainsaw:

I'm confused. I inherited a 032 and the previous owner always ran 32:1. He was an engineer and "knew his onions" as he's like to say. Besides, I have the book and that's what it says.
I'd love to run 40:1 because it would match several of my other machines.

What controls the fuel mix? I mean, what's the difference between a 32:1, 40:1 or 50:1 machine, inside?
Can you change the fuel mix, then adjust the carb and be good to go?
TomJV

I'm confused. I inherited a 032 and the previous owner always ran 32:1. He was an engineer and "knew his onions" as he's like to say. Besides, I have the book and that's what it says.
I'd love to run 40:1 because it would match several of my other machines.

What controls the fuel mix? I mean, what's the difference between a 32:1, 40:1 or 50:1 machine, inside?
Can you change the fuel mix, then adjust the carb and be good to go?
TomJV

It will be fine to run it with 40:1 mix with a quality oil. There is no difference inside the saw. The quality of oil that was available when these old saws were made was not as good as what we have available today so they required more oil. You may have to re-tune the carb when you change the mix.

So, does this mean I can run my XL12s on 40:1 too? Prolly. They always smoke like crazy. Loud as hell too. A blast to use! Like shooting black powder.

This is great for me, because a lot of my stuff tends to sit for a while. Like guns, I hate to "sell a saw" . . . so I keep a bunch around, but mostly use one or two. Considering your advice, I can run 40:1 pre-mix in my "collectors" and worry less about fuel issues.

On the same note, what's to stop me from running 50:1? I'm not entirely serious . . . I'm just trying to understand this stuff better. All the new machines run 50:1. How do they tollerate 50:1 over the vintage stock? Or would they be happier on 40:1, which may sadden the government . . .
TomJV

So, does this mean I can run my XL12s on 40:1 too? Prolly. They always smoke like crazy. Loud as hell too. A blast to use! Like shooting black powder.

This is great for me, because a lot of my stuff tends to sit for a while. Like guns, I hate to "sell a saw" . . . so I keep a bunch around, but mostly use one or two. Considering your advice, I can run 40:1 pre-mix in my "collectors" and worry less about fuel issues.

On the same note, what's to stop me from running 50:1? I'm not entirely serious . . . I'm just trying to understand this stuff better. All the new machines run 50:1. How do they tollerate 50:1 over the vintage stock? Or would they be happier on 40:1, which may sadden the government . . .
TomJV

40:1 shouldn't hurt any of your old saws. Honestly before I found this forum I always ran the orange bottle Stihl oil at 50:1 and never had any problems. After reading through numerous oil threads here and seeing some bottom end bearing failures I started running 40:1 synthetic oil in all my saws. I noticed that even though I'm using more oil there is less carbon buildup on the top of the piston with the synthetic.

Synthetic. Check.
I usually buy the squeeze bottle from HomeD. I'd better pay a little more attention to my oil.
Thanks!
TomJV

Latest posts

Back