Stihl 034AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsis

Reaction score
Appreciate everyone that as already helped me out by reading threads started by others in the past. Loads of great info on this site.

Onto current problem. I have a Stihl 034av that was running great last week. Went to restart after a break and the cord wasn't catching right. Pulled off the starter assembly and the plastic starter pawl was worn. Got the replacement from the dealer along with the little wire guide and replaced them both. Still the same problem. When I opened the starter assembly back up the wire was bent up and the pawl was worn down on the end.

Not real great with any of this, but like I said, I have managed to fix a few other things by reading this site and thought I'd give it a try before turning to the dealer. Much more satisfaction in learning to fix something yourself than paying the dealer... Thanks

I did put one together once 180 degrees off, meaning that if you put the clippy thingy exactly backwards, it doesn't retract properly when you are letting the recoil do its' recoiling. I know that isn't scientific, but that's all I remember. However, you should be able to see it does its' retracting as you test it out before re-assembly.

If there is a bunch o' dust built up on the inside of the flywheel where the pawls grab, that could be the culprit too. Let me know if it looks 180 degrees off...

Jason

Latest posts

Back