Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it for $175. It's a 038 AV Magnum II. Seller was original owner and the motor is strong, great compression all original. That's the good news, the bad news was/is the drive sprocket was shot but it was a rim? sprocket and changing that was a snap. Got a slight gas smell so I suppose it needs new fuel line & filter since it's all original. What else should I consider?
1- 18" bar w/2 real good chains and one 16" bar that has about 3/4 of life used, but another real good chain. Both bars are Stihl and chains also.

Cleaned it up and fired up on 2nd pull. The On/off/choke lever is kind of sticky and a little stiff. Probably should think about replacing the air filter if I can find one reasonably priced.

OK you Stihl guys, how do you think I did? This was a stab in the dark for me.

Glad to see someone from here get it that will treat it right and appreciate it. If it were a Super I would've drove up there to buy it myself (want a Super like Dad had). Any clean 038's of any persuasion around here bring pretty good money $250 would've been alright, $175 was a great deal.

That would go for $300 down here by me. Where you at in Wi? I grew up in Hayward and get up in the Shell Lake area occasionally. Nice buy. I search CL adds up there once in awhile, and know saws like that don't show up very often there.

That would go for $300 down here by me. Where you at in Wi? I grew up in Hayward and get up in the Shell Lake area occasionally. Nice buy. I search CL adds up there once in awhile, and know saws like that don't show up very often there.

I'm n/west of Hayward by a couple miles. This damn site got me going on CAD, last week it was a J-red 2040, this week it's the 038. That gives me 5 saws that I only use occasionally, and I don't even burn wood!!
Stihl MS 170
Husky 51
J-red 2040
Stihl 038 Magnum II
Husky 372XP

I need to spend more time on the fishing forums!

NGK=BPMR7A or Bosch=WSR6F Only two plugs I would use.... others....SUCK

+1 on the bosch and NGK plugs. I personally wouldn't use any other brand in my saws/small engines. And YOU SUCK. I'd love for an 038 mag to land on my lap. SO, we need PICTURES!!!

What model would that be comparable to with today's current Stihl line up?
MS381, biggest difference is the name. But not available in the US, so closest to you is the 441 being a low 70cc pro saw. But the 441 has it beat in everything apart from longevity which the 038 really shines in.

I'm n/west of Hayward by a couple miles. This damn site got me going on CAD, last week it was a J-red 2040, this week it's the 038. That gives me 5 saws that I only use occasionally, and I don't even burn wood!!
Stihl MS 170
Husky 51
J-red 2040
Stihl 038 Magnum II
Husky 372XP

I need to spend more time on the fishing forums!
got 24, need 3, yer jes getting started... sold 038s last yr $200. no issues, 28" on it...

+1 on the bosch and NGK plugs. I personally wouldn't use any other brand in my saws/small engines. And YOU SUCK. I'd love for an 038 mag to land on my lap. SO, we need PICTURES!!!

I'll try and get some pix up in the next couple days, I'm pretty bad at using Photobucket yet. Thanks for the compliment....LOL

I'll try and get some pix up in the next couple days, I'm pretty bad at using Photobucket yet. Thanks for the compliment....LOL
Photobucket is a snap to use. Just click on the Pic that you downloaded in an album to enlarge it. Then Click on IMG in the dialog box on the right entitled Links to Share. It will copy it automatically to the clipboard. Then press Ctrl V in this website's posting text box to transfer the required Pic info. Here's some wedges I made for bucking and felling:

Give it a shot. I'll post a Pic of an 038 AV that I might be buying from a friend who loaned it to me. I hesitate only because all my spare full chisel chain is 063 gauge and his bar is 050. So, his bar would be hanging on the wall.

Photobucket is a snap to use. Just click on the Pic that you downloaded in an album to enlarge it. Then Click on IMG in the dialog box on the right entitled Links to Share. It will copy it automatically to the clipboard. Then press Ctrl V in this website's posting text box to transfer the required Pic info. Here's some wedges I made for bucking and felling:

Give it a shot. I'll post a Pic of an 038 AV that I might be buying from a friend who loaned it to me. I hesitate only because all my spare full chisel chain is 063 gauge and his bar is 050. So, his bar would be hanging on the wall.

That's what everyone says, but somehow I make it complicated. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. The saw really looks & runs good, but I have to replace the fuel line & filter first chance I get.

Aftermarket opinion - agree, $200 max - totally disagree if it is mechanically sound.
You can get twice as much selling a used ms290. So I stand my ground on the price. Aside from the group of us here, no one wants an old saw.

You can get twice as much selling a used ms290. So I stand my ground on the price. Aside from the group of us here, no one wants an old saw.

I didn't buy it to sell, not at this time anyway. Anyone can buy new. I like to breath new life into old things, it's a fault in my character. Since I'm an occasional user and don't try to make money being a wood cutter, I'll have fun with it for the time being.

I didn't buy it to sell, not at this time anyway. Anyone can buy new. I like to breath new life into old things, it's a fault in my character. Since I'm an occasional user and don't try to make money being a wood cutter, I'll have fun with it for the time being.
Oh hell yes. I'm the same way. Which makes all of us different than the rest of the market of potential buyers.

Ms 381 has spring AV according to the pictures I have seen. The ms380 does not.
not the several I've seen here - they're a pretty common saw round here. Like I said the main difference is the name - decomp, see through tank, front chain adjuster, that's about it

Sweet! I would have been all over that for the price you paid. Looks like it has a bad fuel line, filter and SP Haha:clap:

Not sure if you know, the first digit of the serial # will tell you where it was made. (country of origin) DW

Now of course, you know that the 038 Magnum included a chain brake that a lot of the pros never wanted. It also had a slightly bigger engine than the classic 038AV, but some say that the 038AV had plenty of power without the bigger bore. Regardless, both are classic saws from the days when ruggedness counted more than plastic.

What you guys are all doing is forcing me to buy a "new" 038AV that runs really well and refuses to die. I'm hooked forever on these professional classics. :rolleyes:

Sweet! I would have been all over that for the price you paid. Looks like it has a bad fuel line, filter and SP Haha:clap:

Not sure if you know, the first digit of the serial # will tell you where it was made. (country of origin) DW

I cannot find a serial# on it, or maybe I just don't know where to look? I'm more than pleasantly surprised with this saw. It starts better than some of my newer saws, like 2-3 pulls on a cold start.

Latest posts

Back