Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not crap ............. just real fine dust, mostly in dry hard wood (hickory).
Admittantly, it could be that the real fine dust is coming from a chain that needs a fresh file .......... but it allways has some real fine dust in the throat of the carb when I am done cutting up dry hickory .......... havent noticed anything with other types of wood yet, and I look after every tankfull.

I aint the only one eithor ............ there are a few running around by me, and they too seem to get a little fine dust ingestion with the dry hardwoods

I have new filter halves, and a new pre-screen as well. My choke works perfectly in both on and off positions, both brass screws are installed .............. the new filter is screen material, whereas the old filter I replaced was frocked. The frocking had just about vanished.

If it werent for that choke, I would have tried a different design, but I am stuck with the stock air filter due to the choke.

Bottom line (for me) is that the 038 is a good saw, but I cant just go use it without regard for what I am cutting ...............dry hickory will never be cut with my 038 again !! .......... but just about any other wood I have had to cut hasnt given me that fine dust like the dry hickory did.

Not crap ............. just real fine dust, mostly in dry hard wood (hickory).
Admittantly, it could be that the real fine dust is coming from a chain that needs a fresh file .......... but it allways has some real fine dust in the throat of the carb when I am done cutting up dry hickory .......... havent noticed anything with other types of wood yet, and I look after every tankfull.

I aint the only one eithor ............ there are a few running around by me, and they too seem to get a little fine dust ingestion with the dry hardwoods

I have new filter halves, and a new pre-screen as well. My choke works perfectly in both on and off positions, both brass screws are installed .............. the new filter is screen material, whereas the old filter I replaced was frocked. The frocking had just about vanished.

If it werent for that choke, I would have tried a different design, but I am stuck with the stock air filter due to the choke.

Bottom line (for me) is that the 038 is a good saw, but I cant just go use it without regard for what I am cutting ...............dry hickory will never be cut with my 038 again !! .......... but just about any other wood I have had to cut hasnt given me that fine dust like the dry hickory did.
You need a new flocked filter. Problem solved.

I replaced my filter with one of the fine mesh kind you see on the net. I don't have hickory but lots of pine. Being an occasional user homeowner, I don't think I'll have a problem with the fine wood dust. But if I find I do, I'll bite the bullet and upgrade to the flocked filter.

Couldnt get the frocked filter from my local Stihl dealer ............... would you happen to know of a link or a place that I can specifically order the frocked filter ?

Paper or screen is all I could ever come up with .....................
Was told the ffrocking was NLA

He also said ...................... " so I want a great saw to do the cutting for the mill"
Left me thinking;
1. Newbie (stated he is new to chainsaws and making his first post)
2. Might not be too sure of what he is writing
3. He might want to use the saw in the mill

Also, my 038 Mag 2 has enough hickory dust inside it that I dont need a toothbrush to push in some more. The filtration is a concern of mine as I have cleaned too much dust from inside the carb ........... the filter on my 044 is light years ahead in flitering and ease of cleaning

038 Mag is a great saw with one or two shortcomings that will last longer than most every other saw if taken care of. Mine is ported, so the first shortcoming is taken care of ........... but that air filter is just plain old a bad design IMHO. The problem aint cleaning it ......... its that real fine dust can get through it.
A quick re-read might get you the real story. I will not be using the saw in a mill. I plan on buying a BANDSAW mill to mill lumber from trees cut by the saw I buy. Newbie.....yes, unsure of what I am writing, no.

Sounds good ......... then I suggest your 038 Mag as your backup and a new 461 as your main saw

Sounds good ......... then I suggest your 038 Mag as your backup and a new 461 as your main saw
There will be no backup saw. As I said before, I am only going to be able to get one saw for the job right away. Only in an alternate universe would I ever be able to buy a new 461. While I appreciate your input, it doesn't really fit my plan at all. I will replace the air filter if I get this one, though.

As a professional deckbuilder, my main business is the focus until I get the other phase off the ground [cutting lumber]. It will be mostly a hobby that makes a little cash on the side for a few years, then hopefully, the business will be good enough to warrant switching over to full time. Maybe then, I can have two saws, but I can just about guarantee neither will be new and neither one will be in the range of a new 461 [unless a stray lotto win happens].

That explains things.

I won't run a wire mesh filter in any of my saws.

The original filter may be NLA, I bought extras as my dealer said discontinued and only remaining stock.

I find this strange as the they still sell a 381 that is about the same saw overseas???

I think stens makes a replacement flocked filter

http://www.stenspartsdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=1098_1099_1125&products_id=241

tilton/total dealers may also have replacement filters

I ordered the frocked one and got the screen ..........
If there is a place I can order the frocked one and get a frocked one, I would be all over it, however so far I have 3 extra screened ones, as I have tried to order the frocked one from different places ------------ all gave me the screened one, even though they claimed to be selling the frocked one.

Looks like I will give that orangey paper one from Stihl a try next

There will be no backup saw. As I said before, I am only going to be able to get one saw for the job right away. Only in an alternate universe would I ever be able to buy a new 461. While I appreciate your input, it doesn't really fit my plan at all. I will replace the air filter if I get this one, though.

As a professional deckbuilder, my main business is the focus until I get the other phase off the ground [cutting lumber]. It will be mostly a hobby that makes a little cash on the side for a few years, then hopefully, the business will be good enough to warrant switching over to full time. Maybe then, I can have two saws, but I can just about guarantee neither will be new and neither one will be in the range of a new 461 [unless a stray lotto win happens].

You dont think that you will ever pinch that saw ?
You will need a backup saw to get you out of jammed situations !

No I don't. While I will be a newbie to owning a Stihl saw, I am not a beginner at using one. I have never pinched one yet. When I say there will be no back up saw, it's because my neighbor has four of them and my budget will not allow more than one. I am not sure why that is so hard to understand. I will not be buying more than one. If I ever do need to have another one, all I have to do is walk about 400 yards to the neighbor's house.

Gonna give it one more try here. Does anyone have any advice for problems to look for when buying an older professional Stihl saw????? I don't need advice on how many to buy, or how to use one, just what to look for.

Sounds even better. Lots of details about other equipment in case of a problem or a pinch, no worries about using a 70cc saw, a tight budget. Got it. The best thing to do is pull the muffler cover (T-27) and look at the piston, rings, and cylinder.

Most times a first poster will have alot less experience than you, especially when asking what to look for in a used machine. I assumed you were in that category and apologize.

Now go get that 038 and show us a picture of it so we can tell you that you suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not realize this until tonight.... duh....... my 038 Magnum and my 372xp are the basically the same size saws 72cc . Somehow I was thinking the 038 was a smaller saw. I had never really checked the specs before. The 038 came with a 18" and 16" bar. It should be a beast with the 16" mounted. I need to pay more attention to size when I look at saws.

Back