Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now of course, you know that the 038 Magnum included a chain brake that a lot of the pros never wanted. It also had a slightly bigger engine than the classic 038AV, but some say that the 038AV had plenty of power without the bigger bore. Regardless, both are classic saws from the days when ruggedness counted more than plastic.

What you guys are all doing is forcing me to buy a "new" 038AV that runs really well and refuses to die. I'm hooked forever on these professional classics. :rolleyes:

If I was on my way to elk camp in Co, I'd try & connect with you for a great deal on this saw. since I go through Omaha.

I sold a 038 mag last fall on eBay it's was very clean I got 475 plus shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was on my way to elk camp in Co, I'd try & connect with you for a great deal on this saw. since I go through Omaha.
Well, the thing is, I have this nice 038AV resting on the floor in my shop, and I have already serviced it, so I know that it starts easily and runs like a bandit. All I have to do is make the owner a good offer and he will unload it immediately because he has a couple of other lighter saws in his artillery. The 16-lb 038AV is a bit much for him to handle these days. About the only thing this saw needs is new wrap handle and it will look like the day it was sold.

Look at it this way. The least expensive Stihl today that's going to beat this saw is the MS362 and now you are talking about $800.

Well, the thing is, I have this nice 038AV resting on the floor in my shop, and I have already serviced it, so I know that it starts easily and runs like a bandit. All I have to do is make the owner a good offer and he will unload it immediately because he has a couple of other lighter saws in his artillery. The 16-lb 038AV is a bit much for him to handle these days. About the only thing this saw needs is new wrap handle and it will look like the day it was sold.

Look at it this way. The least expensive Stihl today that's going to beat this saw is the MS362 and now you are talking about $800.

This stuff is addictive isn't it. My wrap handle has been bent some also. It's fine like it is, but I'd replace it if one came along for a reasonable price. There are a couple on Ebay but they want as much for shipping as they do for the handle.... ahhh no!
$800 for a similar saw new..... wow, I like mine even more now.

Do you ever change out the EV rubber grommets? Just curious.

I just changed mine last fall ................. all 3 dry rotted !!
NICE saw for NICE price ...................... YOU SUCK !!!!!!!!!

Great to see this thread, found it on a Bing search. I am new to chainsaws and this is my first post here, but plan on doing a lot of harvesting on my friend's 84 acre land tract taking out both cedar and mesquite trees. I wanted to buy a good saw, so I got on craigslist and found a 038 Magnum 2 for sale for $300 in a town fairly close by. After reading this thread I am interested, but I would love to hear a few pointers on what to look for when buying it to make sure it's a good one. I am not buying to re-sell, but rather to use regularly. I also plan on acquiring a band saw mill to make lumber down the road a bit, so I want a great saw to do the cutting for the mill. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I really want to ask the experts before I see this saw [hopefully this weekend].

Thanks in advance

This stuff is addictive isn't it. My wrap handle has been bent some also. It's fine like it is, but I'd replace it if one came along for a reasonable price. There are a couple on Ebay but they want as much for shipping as they do for the handle.... ahhh no!
$800 for a similar saw new..... wow, I like mine even more now.

Well, I guess I should not have said "Wrap Handle". I meant to say the standard handle that the owner had covered with tons of electrician's tape. I found a replacement handle for less than $25. Works and looks very good. This saw is a winner, to say the least. Plenty of power, it can pull a 25" bar without breathing hard. The 038 Mag II has even more power than this one.

Great to see this thread, found it on a Bing search. I am new to chainsaws and this is my first post here, but plan on doing a lot of harvesting on my friend's 84 acre land tract taking out both cedar and mesquite trees. I wanted to buy a good saw, so I got on craigslist and found a 038 Magnum 2 for sale for $300 in a town fairly close by. After reading this thread I am interested, but I would love to hear a few pointers on what to look for when buying it to make sure it's a good one. I am not buying to re-sell, but rather to use regularly. I also plan on acquiring a band saw mill to make lumber down the road a bit, so I want a great saw to do the cutting for the mill. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I really want to ask the experts before I see this saw [hopefully this weekend].

Thanks in advance

No problem, jump right in. Lots of knowledge to be had here. The 038 and it's variants - Super and Magnums - are well respected saws and have a loyal following here.

Thanks in advance
An 038 Mag is a great saw, however, that being said .................

1. The air filtration system on 038's is a step in the wrong direction (compared to 044, 046, 066 etc)
2. I wouldnt suggest an 038 for milling ........... felling and bucking - sure, but NOT milling. (For milling, even 046's have their clutches get hot when cutting larger slabs.) 066 or bigger for milling
3. IMHO, purchase that saw as a backup, it looks like you will be needing something with more grunt, a new 461 or 660 is where I would go.
4. Milling alot or a little ............. milling alot=new 660 ............. milling a little=new 461

An 038 Mag is a great saw, however, that being said .................

1. The air filtration system on 038's is a step in the wrong direction (compared to 044, 046, 066 etc)
2. I wouldnt suggest an 038 for milling ........... felling and bucking - sure, but NOT milling. (For milling, even 046's have their clutches get hot when cutting larger slabs.) 066 or bigger for milling
3. IMHO, purchase that saw as a backup, it looks like you will be needing something with more grunt, a new 461 or 660 is where I would go.
4. Milling alot or a little ............. milling alot=new 660 ............. milling a little=new 461
He said band mill. Just looking for a reliable workhorse. Sure the air filter is not on par with today's saws. However, if a guy has enough sense to pop the cover and use some sort of brush to make a few passes over the exposed element, it becomes a non-issue. I don't even bother with the filters on my new stuff nor do I neglect them. They just don't need it very often. On the 038, it's just something extra to do on every other fuel stop or if im tired, every tank. :chainsaw:

"... Just looking for a reliable workhorse...."
--------------------------
The Stihl 038 is a reliable workhorse. It might be the first saw that Stihl ever made that finally beat the McCulloch Pro Mac 610 when the 038 eventually was equipped with a chain brake. The earlier 038's did not have one. That includes mine.

Thanks for the tips. This will be the only saw I own until I get busy enough to warrant a back up saw. Going to try and see it tomorrow afternoon.

He said band mill. Just looking for a reliable workhorse. Sure the air filter is not on par with today's saws. However, if a guy has enough sense to pop the cover and use some sort of brush to make a few passes over the exposed element, it becomes a non-issue. I don't even bother with the filters on my new stuff nor do I neglect them. They just don't need it very often. On the 038, it's just something extra to do on every other fuel stop or if im tired, every tank. :chainsaw:

He also said ...................... " so I want a great saw to do the cutting for the mill"
Left me thinking;
1. Newbie (stated he is new to chainsaws and making his first post)
2. Might not be too sure of what he is writing
3. He might want to use the saw in the mill

Also, my 038 Mag 2 has enough hickory dust inside it that I dont need a toothbrush to push in some more. The filtration is a concern of mine as I have cleaned too much dust from inside the carb ........... the filter on my 044 is light years ahead in flitering and ease of cleaning

038 Mag is a great saw with one or two shortcomings that will last longer than most every other saw if taken care of. Mine is ported, so the first shortcoming is taken care of ........... but that air filter is just plain old a bad design IMHO. The problem aint cleaning it ......... its that real fine dust can get through it.

Latest posts

Back