Stihl 041 super chain selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL CRUSADER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So here's the deal not really an issue but just want to get a opinion on something I have neglected to try as of yet. I nearly have the saw my father requested finished and have been fighting with myself as to what to put on it. He will not be running anything longer than a 20" bar so this old girl has lots of torque to spare. My mind said 3/8 eight tooth sprocket. However I was digging around and found a bunch of 9 tooth .325 rims that I forgot I had. Has anyone ever tried .325 on 70+ cc saws and what was the outcome. Would the 3/8 perform better or the .325? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 35
I don't know about .325 on a 70cc....but nice work on the saw! It looks good

So here's the deal not really an issue but just want to get a opinion on something I have neglected to try as of yet. I nearly have the saw my father requested finished and have been fighting with myself as to what to put on it. He will not be running anything longer than a 20" bar so this old girl has lots of torque to spare. My mind said 3/8 eight tooth sprocket. However I was digging around and found a bunch of 9 tooth .325 rims that I forgot I had. Has anyone ever tried .325 on 70+ cc saws and what was the outcome. Would the 3/8 perform better or the .325? Any thoughts?

that restoration looks great. how did you do it? what paint did you use? I just took one of those apart today. your saw looks like new

that restoration looks great. how did you do it? what paint did you use? I just took one of those apart today. your saw looks like new

This one is actually just a partial restoration as the internals of this one are in excellent condition. Bearings are smooth and tight, piston and cylinder are beautiful, and compression is way up there. You can hang it by the rewind handle and it does not drop it just hangs. Basically pulled down to case and everything cleaned masked whatever was needed then primed and painted. The paint is Valspar tractor and implement paint and primer. Then new crank seals installed, new intake gaskets, new oil pump seal grommet and oring, new worm gear seal, new badge, fuel line and filter, impulse line. Pressure and vacuum tested crankcase. Painted muffler with high temp exhaust paint. Cleaned and rebuilt carb, new air filter. Replaced all the old flat head hardware with torx self locking hardware.
replaced rope guide bushing, cleaned all rewind parts and installed new rope. Replaced one bad mount. I will post a photo of it completed. I have four more supers that will be getting the treatment as well.

Back