Stihl 042AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Kid2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could you guys give me idea of how much to offer a friend for a Stihl 042AV. It is an early model, probably 1970's. Original owner, runs fine, 20" bar.

Is this considered a "Pro" saw?

Thanks

Not much. Those models were not very popular, and parts are becoming difficult to locate. It is also (argueably) not the best looking design, and the 042 was the small-bore version of that chassis. If you want it, give what you think is fair. I would not pay more than $75 even to a friend. That saw is too new to be very collectable, and too old to use regularly, so it is kinda caught in the middle.

The 042 and 048 are basically the same saw, only the 042 has less displacement. If I understand correctly, it was designed to military standards. I have an 048 restored and in my collection. Parts are not real plentiful as mentioned. I would think the fact that there aren't tons of them and the mil spec design would add some value to them as a collectors piece. Maybe not.

If I understand correctly, it was designed to military standards.

Where did you hear this?

Anyway, JJ once said that this was not a loved saw. An 042/048 crushed at the landing was not cause to be upset.

As far as history goes, I believe it is the first Stihl made in the modern design that is now common to all pro Stihls, with exception of the oil tank location.

They had/have a reputation of blowing the crankcase gasket. Only 4 bolts slotted bolts hold it together. Personally, I've replaced the bolts in 2 cases before trouble started. My 042 has Torx fasteners, and the 048 has allen-headed bolts. You can get them tighter than slotted screws. Parts are tough to find.

On the positive side, it is a strong saw.

If you like red-headed stepchildren, get the 042.

Chris B.

i have the 048, the bigger brother. the parts such as filters, gaskets and other consumables are available, but thats about it(im shopping for cylinder/piston combo for when it gives out). my 048 is about as reliable as gravity and pulls the 24" chain easily.....

I thought I read it here somewhere. I may be totally off base. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

ive seen the 'military spec' for vehicles, called the enhanced mobility packages. if the 1117 series was built to a spec, id like to know the spec....

My memory tells me that the 042 and 048 wasn't among Stihls best efforts, but I don't remember any details.

About the military issue - I have heard of military 045s, but not 042s or 048s - but I sure haven't heard it all.......:confused:

I've seen pics of a 045 Bund? saw in a wooden crate. Very cool!

I have seen that as well - but would consider it a collectors item, like any 042 or 048. :)

Imo, all Stihl saws were pretty clumsy designs those days - waaaay behind Husky and Jonsereds.....

Last edited:
...Imo, all Stihl saws were pretty clumsy designs those days - waaaay behind Husky and Jonsereds.....

Well, if that were the case, it's a good thing they didn't rest on their laurels. Obviously the tide has changed between then and now.

I bought a 042av at a auction probably 8 years ago for $125 only to find it had a scored piston and cly.and to my surprise the needed parts were no longer available from stihl. So it sat in a box for 5 years untill I started looking on ebay for parts which I did find a good used piston and cly. for $45. I really like the saw with a 25" bar. I since have picked another one up at a auction that wasn't as clean as the first but runs strong for $75.:chainsaw:

Rich

I bought a 042av at a auction probably 8 years ago for $125 only to find it had a scored piston and cly.and to my surprise the needed parts were no longer available from stihl. So it sat in a box for 5 years untill I started looking on ebay for parts which I did find a good used piston and cly. for $45. I really like the saw with a 25" bar. I since have picked another one up at a auction that wasn't as clean as the first but runs strong for $75.:chainsaw:

Rich

Kind of the same scenario here. I picked up an 048 and I'm really surprised with how well it runs, no lack of power for sure, albeit fairly heavy. It doesn't have the internals for the chain brake and thus far it has proved a real challenge to find the necessary parts.

Latest posts

Back