Stihl 044/440.....Best saw ever made???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the Stihl 044/440 the best saw ever made???

• Total voters
Nice! What's done to it?

I liked the 044 I had it was a little lighter than the 441, but that wasn't enough to make me pick it up over the 441. The 044 is a great saw and worthy of it's reputation.

Just a run of the mill 046 top end, mild port job and the squish set. Nothing major. Just a good, strong, lightweight 76cc saw.

And this one did too. In your presence, none the less:hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwv3ELdis8k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwv3ELdis8k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now wait just a dang minute! My 441 is the fastest saw ever built or that ever will be built! No videos or stopwatches will tell me different! It's a 70.7cc race'n, work'n, neighbors wake'n up'n beast!:hmm3grin2orange:

That may over state it a bit, but it ain't bad for a work saw:cheers:

Just a run of the mill 046 top end, mild port job and the squish set. Nothing major. Just a good, strong, lightweight 76cc saw.

Nice! I love those 044/046 hybrids. My 044 was stock, but still a real nice saw.

LP, they get the sn-t run out of them most every day and will die an early death, the fellows using them do make money with them but they prefer the best bang for their buck, the Huskies are cheaper from the outset and if they can get a year out of them they are happy. If they last a year they will be just write off`s, totally fubared. It would be hard to compare any make of saws used in an enviroment like that.
Pioneerguy600

What a sad fate for the best saws ever :hmm3grin2orange:
They should send them all to me, and write them off. Then buy 7900s

LP, they would not be worth the cost of shipping them, next one that comes in I will take a pict of it and post it for you. Not even the muffler would be resuable,probably squashed like a pancake.
Pioneerguy600

Tom Fales Jr. once mentioned up yonder that the 7900 was one of his favorite felling saws of all time:cheers: Nuff said.

Vader's personal pilot™

DSCF2024.jpg

Tom Fales Jr. once mentioned up yonder that the 7900 was one of his favorite felling saws of all time:cheers: Nuff said.

Vader's personal pilot™

DSCF2024.jpg

No doubt a good saw.....but a Loooooong way from knocking down the King, the 044!!!

We'll see how them 7900's are holding up in 20 years.

I'm waiting on a few parts for my 046, I hoped to have it together for the TN GTG, but... I just hope it turns out to be a good firewood saw...

I guess I'm in the Stihl camp in terms of durability. I'm as poor as dirt, and only get the saws that have been cast off. I can fix the Stihls up to perform as good as new, or a bit better. :hmm3grin2orange:

No doubt a good saw.....but a Loooooong way from knocking down the King, the 044!!!

We'll see how them 7900's are holding up in 20 years.

Go to the HD rental dept. wiggs. The way those saws are abused, their 2 year life span before being sold is like a 20 year life span:hmm3grin2orange:

Remember, rolling with Dr. Dre:cheers:

OK...I saw the thread and took the sucker bait (voted yes)

But honestly, the 044 is one heck of an amazing saw...it fills many rolls (felling, bucking, and yes, I'll haul one up a tree when a 200T isn't enough)...but their durability has really surprised me. We have one that has been pounded for 10 years (the only Stihl in the fleet the groundies get to use) and it's still running strong. It's worn out several bars, countless chains, and keeps going like that irritating Energiser Bunny. It's bone-stock except for a muff-mod. The main factors in it's long life include a religious maintainence routine, best oil mix, sharp chains, clean air filters, and obviously a bunch of great engineering on Stihl's part.

Just an opinion, but if I could only own ONE saw, the 044 would win the day.:cheers:

Any of you 044/440 lovers want to crap out a good used set of 440 crankcases for me? I have not had much luck in the swapmeet (or anywhere else)

Back