Stihl 044/440.....Best saw ever made???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the Stihl 044/440 the best saw ever made???

• Total voters
Any of you 044/440 lovers want to crap out a good used set of 440 crankcases for me? I have not had much luck in the swapmeet (or anywhere else)

I would make a thread in chainsaw..... other people do it all the time when they are in a bind. I'm sure a few of the cops will remind you of the swap meet thread though..... who cares. :cheers:

I would make a thread in chainsaw..... other people do it all the time when they are in a bind. I'm sure a few of the cops will remind you of the swap meet thread though..... who cares. :cheers:

Looks like LP might have a line on something for me. If not, maybe I'll take that advice. I'll tell the mods you said it was OK.

Looks like LP might have a line on something for me. If not, maybe I'll take that advice. I'll tell the mods you said it was OK.

I don't think the mods would care.... its the wannabe mods that will getcha. You have helped tons of us here with parts.... :cheers:

I bought my 044 new in 1996 and I still get goose bumps when I start that thing.

A picture of mine. The 044 is in front
chainsaw10508f.jpg

Whats up with the faulty gas tanks? :monkey:

Always breaking or leakin...

Go Huskys!

Hey shorty it's cause they'll run long enough for something to go wrong once in a while. You can't get yours to run long enough to make um leak. That is unless like Pioneerguy said I use it for a wheel chock like I did the other time. It leaked then didn't it.

2K it's funny everytime we go out to cut when we come back he cleans up my saws and puts um on the rack. Then he brings them orange things in and starts telling me what all is wrong with um that needs to be fixed. It NEVER fails.

Hey shorty it's cause they'll run long enough for something to go wrong once in a while. You can't get yours to run long enough to make um leak. That is unless like Pioneerguy said I use it for a wheel chock like I did the other time. It leaked then didn't it.

2K it's funny everytime we go out to cut when we come back he cleans up my saws and puts um on the rack. Then he brings them orange things in and starts telling me what all is wrong with um that needs to be fixed. It NEVER fails.

Kids, they will learn with time.:D

Hey Wiggs in our hood if you talk to real loggers they'll tell you the truth. The 044 is, always has been, and always will be the best in it's class saw Stihl ever built and I for one :agree2:.

But you know me old Stihl heads are hard to get to change. If it ain't a Stihl it ain't a saw. I opened a can of worms with that statement didn't I. I run um and I like um. This old junk of mine will work circles around all them Husky saws that LP has. That being because I'm man enough to run um and he ain't. Enough said by me best go for I get in trouble.

+1 for me here. I've had mine a while and when I need that "grunt" I reach for it. There are bigger saws indeed, but pound for pound I'm sold on it. Put me on the same truck with the possums.

I just went through my 044 and wow, I like this saw, and it was very easy to muffler mod I got it set at 13,800! I cant what to cut with it!:rockn:

Just ported a Mahle 460 cylinder tonight. I hope to drop it on the 440 tomorow:clap:

I've got a 440 with a 460 top end on the bench and a meteor piston ordered. This is only my 2nd saw that I've worked on. Would you care to reveal what the easy gains are on this setup? It came with a spare 440 cyl., the witness marks on that cyl. look like there isn't a lot of room to widen the ports on this model.

These Stihl cylinders sure look a lot different than the 79cc Dolmar set up.

Have you ever done work on just a P/C without having the saw? Just curious what a mild hop up might entail.

I've got a 440 with a 460 top end on the bench and a meteor piston ordered. This is only my 2nd saw that I've worked on. Would you care to reveal what the easy gains are on this setup? It came with a spare 440 cyl., the witness marks on that cyl. look like there isn't a lot of room to widen the ports on this model.

These Stihl cylinders sure look a lot different than the 79cc Dolmar set up.

Have you ever done work on just a P/C without having the saw? Just curious what a mild hop up might entail.

Check my old posts. I've posted in detail exactly what you need to do, including pictures. There are lots of others as well.

BTW, I just to the 4460/460 back together. She's another screamer. I could tune it as high as 16,000 for cookie cutting. Fortunately, this one didn't grenade:clap:

heres mine

twins
GEDC1783.jpg

440 bigger wood

i dont know if its the best saw out there but its my favorite

Last edited:
I got to make a few cuts with Terry's 044 work saw today at the GTG, it sure made me grin. I also got my mitts on a couple of 066s. I had a blast. Joat had his 084 with pipe, what a saw...:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back