Stihl 044/440 exhaust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, leaner=more power! Less restriction should increase the dyno result.

It should be re tuned after each change, but if it is not, that will not remove the dyno increase.

(Note: I was responding to Brad's post)

Brad, I agree with you, that to quantify the difference between two filters the saw should be re-tuned for each.

However, can we also agree that there is a correlation, that in general, the less restriction of the filter, the richer the tune will need to be, and the more power the saw will produce? Ditto for the exhaust? And, improving both intake & exhaust is best?

Don't know why we are going back & forth on this, it seems pretty basic to me.

As to any difference is performance from HD-2 to Max Flow, I have never used a Max Flow, I was relying on the dyno results, so I don't know the answer to it. However, I believe either one will improve the performance of your saw.

Brad, I agree with you, that to quantify the difference between two filters the saw should be re-tuned for each.

However, can we also agree that there is a correlation, that in general, the less restriction of the filter, the richer the tune will need to be, and the more power the saw will produce? Ditto for the exhaust? And, improving both intake & exhaust is best?

Don't know why we are going back & forth on this, it seems pretty basic to me.

As to any difference is performance from HD-2 to Max Flow, I have never used a Max Flow, I was relying on the dyno results, so I don't know the answer to it. However, I believe either one will improve the performance of your saw.
Buck up and try a maxflo, then report back.

It'll be duel port and maxflo from then on

HD 2 sucks for milling. 2 tanks with the cover and it's packed. No cover is better with them. The green weenie on a stack works good also.

I'm sure it is just fine for regular use, but milling generates more fines, and the additional capacity of the Max Flow becomes more important for milling than for general use.

I find the HD-2 very easy to clean, I just tap it out on a piece of wood. I don't think the Max Flow would be that easy, I could be wrong.

I like to keep thinks simple.

I'm sure it is just fine for regular use, but milling generates more fines, and the additional capacity of the Max Flow becomes more important for milling than for general use.

I find the HD-2 very easy to clean, I just tap it out on a piece of wood. I don't think the Max Flow would be that easy, I could be wrong.

I like to keep thinks simple.
When I used the hd2's the crevices packed with fines and tapping them out would not get it, compressed air wouldn't even get it. I was down to a toothpick and a stiff brush. If you don't clean it completely then your defeating the purpose.

You can brush the max flow off and keep going. HD 2 was tap on something hard trying to get dust out and then a soft cleaning brush to get most out. I may have a HD 2 laying around still. I have 4 max flow filters and 2 cages and backing plates. All the max flow stuff was cheaper than 2 HD 2 filters.

Have a max flow on my 084, I like the look with the cover. Haven't seen one little speck of sawdust inside it yet. The HD filters I would always see really fine particals of dust or something inside the filter area.

I thought HD2 was a pretty good filter when I was firewood cutting. ;)
Then I cut ONE stump and I couldnt believe what that HD2 filter looked like, the carb inlet was coated with a very fine dust :confused:
I threw on the MaxFlow, and even with the BelRay super sticky air filter oil all over the maxflow it doesnt clog up nearly as bad as that HD2

Just my opinion, but the origional HD filter with the elastic pre-filter worked better keeping the carb inlet clean, and its easier to brush off to clean.

Sawmikaze..... is that your 064? I really want one of those..... old school cool......:baba:

It was ..i sold it to a dude out in cali , i only have 2 shelf saws now and 440 R and a 660 R , i never used that 064 much all of our lot work is pecker poles..dont really use anything other than 60cc and smaller

If maxflo is better for milling then why not for regular use?

We did a site for a rec center last summer and between the dust from the machines and the dead ash trees i was buckin up the HD2 was totally packed after each tank of fuel..i wasnt a fan...i tried outerwears..i didnt think much of those either , but im gonna give them another spin on the 461 R brad is porting for me now..well see..its gonna be more of a fun saw , i dont need bigguns often.

Latest posts

Back