Stihl 044 carb rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm actually making progress with this saw rebuild, so far little stuff. Today I hope to get the piston installed and the cylinder on if I plan my day right...have to put in some time drafting (day job) and help my bro-in-law split some Oak. And there's time needed for my wife and baby girl. Anyway...I was taking my carb apart and referring to my service manual. It talks about "pressing out valve jet" (using a drift to get it out of its seat and to clean the jet). I gave a half-hearted (didn't want to damage it) effort last night before bed, and couldn't get it to move. Does this valve jet absolutely have to be removed as part of the rebuild? I've attached a pic of my carb with a circle around what I think is the valve jet the manual is describing. It has a slot in it, but it's not centered, so I don't think it's for a screwdriver. If I'm missing something obvious, kindly let me know. And easy on me boys, this is my first saw rebuild, and engine rebuild of any type...have rebuilt trimmer and mower carbs.

attachment.php

Kevin

I'm interested in this too

I rebuilt the carb on the 066 I am fixing up and had the same problem. Looking in from the bore, There was some red stuff that looked like it had oozed out around where the jet comes through. Could this be loctite? I tried heating it a bit with a hairdryer and pressing it out with a clamp and punch (also tried tapping with a punch, but quit because I didn't want to botch it up).

No movement at all, so I cleaned it all up with carb cleaner and put it back together.

It remains to be seen whether this will work. I'm still waiting for a bunch of backordered parts from my dealer, and they have my crankcase, putting in a new set of seals for me.

Would really like to here some replys. By the way the service manual is a little vague on which part I was supposed to be removing. It did mention that one of the jets was permanent and not suppose to come out.
Thanks,
Andy

Kevin: No... don't press that out or take out the welch plugs unless you find a problem.

Take out the needles and unscrew the main jet (lower right). Clean the carb out thoughly with brake cleaner or whatever. Don't blast compressed air though any of the holes.

Last edited:
I rebuilt the carb on the 066 I am fixing up and had the same problem. Looking in from the bore, There was some red stuff that looked like it had oozed out around where the jet comes through. Could this be loctite? I tried heating it a bit with a hairdryer and pressing it out with a clamp and punch (also tried tapping with a punch, but quit because I didn't want to botch it up).

No movement at all, so I cleaned it all up with carb cleaner and put it back together.

It remains to be seen whether this will work. I'm still waiting for a bunch of backordered parts from my dealer, and they have my crankcase, putting in a new set of seals for me.

Would really like to here some replys. By the way the service manual is a little vague on which part I was supposed to be removing. It did mention that one of the jets was permanent and not suppose to come out.
Thanks,
Andy

Red loctite around the main outlet valve? Not factory.. I'd leave it alone.

Kevin: No... don't press that out or take out the welch plugs unless you find a problem.

Take out the needles and unscrew the main jet (lower right). Clean the carb out thoughly with brake cleaner or whatever. Don't blast compressed air though any of the holes.

Thanks Andy...again...:). More questions later...I'm sure...:dizzy: .

Kevin

Back