Stihl 044 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad044

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I've recently acquired my first stihl 044. Upon arrival I had to see how it worked. I spun the clutch/sprocket by hand and noticed it had a bit of tough spot, similar to a compression type feel. I was just curious if anyone could help me with any kind of diagnosis. Thanks.

I just got the saw today so can say that, whoever had the saw before me didn't line up the clutch drum cover with the oil pump. It was pushed down and binding. So tomorrow there will be a new one installed. Thanks for the replies.

A lot of times dirt builds up behind the drum and small grass or string can be wrapped up near the bearing. Just pop it all off and clean it up some. Make sure the oil gear isn't broken off or worn as well. Clutch springs are one of my common things to replace when doing a Stihl saw. Prevents chain creep and keeps the clutch tight.

The oiler gear is a bit worn. Now just to figure out how to remove the clutch without ruining my new saw.

What is the correct part number supposed to be for the clutch drum cover/sprocket?

I have taken the clutch off and the shaft spins around and about the last 1/8th of the revolution gets stiff. Does this sound like a complete tear down? I hate it, but at least I'd know. I'm no small engine mechanic.

IF it's not the FW magnets that are causing it, it certainly could be bearings.

Where are you located in GA? I know of a very good guy in the ATL (6 Flags area), one bw Macon and ATL, one in the Savannah area, and I'm near Waycross.

I'm in northeast ga. The last exit on I-85 before South Carolina.

So after the shop went through it we found out it has a scored piston and cylinder, wrong clutch drum cover, play in the flywheel, only had one ignition module bolt.

So after the shop went through it we found out it has a scored piston and cylinder, wrong clutch drum cover, play in the flywheel, only had one ignition module bolt.

That sucks.

Could be worse... At least it's not a ms362.

Might look into the 440 short blocks from china.

Mike, my 362 C-M runs just fine thank you! Handled some Ash today that was a good deal bigger than it's 20" bar with not problems (the old tree had a lot of healed over knot bulges).

It was cold & windy here, so U must be freezing up there!

Latest posts

Back