Stihl 044 Husky 372 or Echo 670?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlywoods

Reaction score
I am in need of a bigger chainsaw and am considering the obvious two, the Stihl 044 and the Husky 372. I also am curious what you all think of the Echo 6700, (now the 670).
I have a couple of smaller Echo's and they run and work great. Never owned a 60cc or bigger chainsaw, but need to do a lot more heavy sawing and want to do it faster than I have been :)
Appreciate your thoughts.

Go back one page and view the thread titled "Stihl 044 vs Husky 372XP" for reviews on those two saws. I have never used the echo but I am speculating that it has less power than both the Husky and the Stihl. I am curious to how much it costs. The Stihl is 5.1 hp, 372 XP is 5.4, the Echo probably around 4.5-5 hp. Echo makes a good product, but I would only get it if it is 100-150.00 cheaper. Of course my vote goes to the Husky.

I did it :)

I bought the Husky 372 during lunch. It had a 24" bar which I really did not need, but the deal was good to me. I liked the dealer so much better than either of the other two Stihl dealers close by here in North Dallas. I can't wait to give it go!

congrats on the new saw :D I'm sure you'll like it. I don't have a lot of experience with husky but they have a good reputation. I run an 044 with a 28 inch bar and love it. I think you'll like the longer bar once you get used to it, I find it helps out on my back cause I don't have to bend over so much. From what I've read on this site the power for the husky and stihl are about the same so you should have no problem pulling the 24 inch bar. I've ran an 044 with a 32 inch bar and had it buried in a doug fir log with no problems, although you may have more hardwoods down in Texas which may be a little harder to saw especially seasoned, not sure. enjoy the new toy :blob2:

steve

Congrats, Curlywood! I'm sure you will get a lot of production out of your new saw. What you said about your dealer makes a lot of sense. I have an excellent Stihl dealer, but not a decent Husky dealer around here. Everyone in town runs Stihls. HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........ I wonder if there is a correlation? :confused: Probably so.
Glad you went with the brand where you have a good dealer.

just used my new 372xp that i finally got a chain for - man this thing is awesome - i couldnt be happier - this thing is an animal - similar to my small husky yet in a totally different league - the power is phenomenal. madsens is the best darn saw shop in the world...you simply cannot go wrong with this saw - its light yet so powerful itll make your head spin, i couldnt believe this kind of power existed in this light of a package - i will not need any more chainsaws - ever - my cravings have been completely satisfied - thanks huskyman & others - for pointing me in the right direction!

"my cravings have been completely satisfied"
Yeah, right. In two months you will be taking out a second mortgage to afford a 3120xp and send it and the 372 to Ken Dunn and you will be running custom tuned pipes.

Chain saw tuners?

How do I contact these chain saw tuners? I have a couple of older saws that I would like to see if someone could put some get up and go into them :)

Hello huskyman
thanks for the recommendation. when tundraotto runs 3 to4 tanks of mix thru that 372 and gets the rings broken in he should send it out here to the west coast and have the engine modified. presently we are getting a 40 to 45 percent increase on the husky 372 .models. they will outrun a stock 394-395 husky and get real close to outcutting a older stock 066 stihl .
to curlywoods for questions about engine modifications e-mail me at
[email protected] or call 530-589-2744
thanks, Ken dunn

lol, thanks for the recommendation huskyman, and thanks for the info kdhotsaw - you guys are getting me all excited again - lol - lets see...you all are really wanting me to get that second mortgage arent you!!:D

Back