Stihl 044 or 038 Mag?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe and I know my 028S will be cutting when my 026s have died,

As far as "won't run with" put both buried in 25" hardwood. The 044 don't have the grunt, it will rev ,but won't bite in a cut like a 038M.

And a lb or two of metal sure beats plastic

if an 044 don't beat an 038 in 25" anything there was something wrong with that 044. when i say 038 i am referring to the magnum too

Any, I may be wrong here but this sounds like MP likes whatever he owns better. If he owned an 044 me thinks he'd be saying it was better too lol. If you don't give a **** like me that's where it gets real. I hate them both lol if I chose one it would be without a doubt an 044. I would take a 044 ridden hard and put away wet before I took a decent 038mag.

Any, I may be wrong here but this sounds like MP likes whatever he owns better. If he owned an 044 me thinks he'd be saying it was better too lol. If you don't give a **** like me that's where it gets real. I hate them both lol if I chose one it would be without a doubt an 044. I would take a 044 ridden hard and put away wet before I took a decent 038mag.
Well I am glad to hear this cause I just bought one!

You bought an 044? They really aren't bad at all. I say I hate them but I don't. I just wouldn't use one for longer bars like I would an 046. The 044 will still happily run a 28"

Have owned a 10mm 044, 038M and 381. The 044 was more powerful, lighter, had better filtration and balance. Overall much nicer to use. Sold it after receiving an offer I couldn't refuse. Now have an MS460 which I prefer to all the above and no longer have to worry about the 10mm's little bearings etc
The 038M and MS381 are for entertainment value only and I would never part with them. Classics!

Did you get the tracking number in your email? And the old Wolf still has another 440!;)
Yes I did. I tried to use it but the number failed to be recognized at the UPS site. I'll try again tomorrow. Sometimes UPS doesn't react too rapidly. Frankly, I can't wait to A-B this saw against my 361 to see how much more grunt that it has with both of them pulling the same 25" B/C . I'll alternate back and forth.

Yes I did. I tried to use it but the number failed to be recognized at the UPS site. I'll try again tomorrow. Sometimes UPS doesn't react too rapidly. Frankly, I can't wait to A-B this saw against my 361 to see how much more grunt that it has with both of them pulling the same 25" B/C . I'll alternate back and forth.
Cool!

I look at it this way. There were rumors floating around that Stihl was going to abandon the 440 line altogether, maybe because the 362 was close enough to the 461. But, the 461 is another pound or two up in weight from the 440 and three or four up from the 362. I think the 440 series has its place, and I'd like to verify that. At this pint, I think there is a gap between my 361 and my 046 that the 440 might fill.

And, I've been told that the 440 is a one-on-one competitor to the Husky 372XP.

Back