Stihl 044 with ms660 big bore kit possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_kindig11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was browsing CL and noticed someone selling a Stihl 044 that supposedly has a ms660 big bore kit on it (so im assuming 56mm). Is it even possible to make that conversion? Do you think he's confused and means it has a ms460 BB kit? I am kinda intrigued, but a little confused how he could make that conversion work. Seem like if that was infact true, wouldn't that be too much torque for the 044 crank?

For every piston size/weight the crankshaft has an engineered amount of weight to balance the engine. If you upset that balance your asking for trouble.:msp_biggrin:

What brad means is probly not with most tools found in a garage.

Now if you had a lathe and mill along with balancing tools anything is possible

Maybe adapt a kx80 or 65 top end along a super slick liguid cooled system

Ohhh my I'm seeing stars

I seen the same ad, and was wondering if it was possible myself. I know anything's possible, but I'm doubting it this one.

I have added a big bore kit onto an 046 with good results. You don't get the same Hp as an MS 660, but it's probably about halfway between a 650 and a 660. The 046 stroke is less than either. Seems like too big of a jump for an 044. Most BBKs for an 044 take you to a 52 mm bore, not a 54 mm bore.

What brad means is probly not with most tools found in a garage.

Now if you had a lathe and mill along with balancing tools anything is possible

Maybe adapt a kx80 or 65 top end along a super slick liguid cooled system

Ohhh my I'm seeing stars

The problem is most bike motors are closer to square i.e. equal bore and stroke, and most saw motors are vastly over square i.e. much larger bore than stroke so such a mod would be a non starter.

You'd really be better off investment casting a one off cylinder with a reed valve induction, four transfer ports, one boost port and 3 exhaust ports.

I'm thinking he means it's a 460 bob kit on a 044 that's the same size piston as a stock 660 I built a few like that they are animals best hp to weight ratio you can get

Its 2022 and im still playing with these sweet 44s with 46 top ends.

Latest posts

Back