Stihl 046 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshaffer3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I was in the process of renting a floor sander at the local shop and there was an 046 with all the pieces in a box in the corner. I asked the owner the story and he said one of the tree services that he works with brought it in after a new hire ran straight gas in it. The Piston is badly scored on the exhaust side but the cylinder doesn't look that bad. The rest of the saw is nice. He sold it to me for $50. I've never ran anything larger than an 036 so I'm pretty excited to give this thing a new life and try is out in some big oak at my buddy's farm. Any opinions on aftermarket pistons?

Does anyone have a parts list in .pdf form that they could PM? I'd be greatly appreciative.

Hello,

I was in the process of renting a floor sander at the local shop and there was an 046 with all the pieces in a box in the corner. I asked the owner the story and he said one of the tree services that he works with brought it in after a new hire ran straight gas in it. The Piston is badly scored on the exhaust side but the cylinder doesn't look that bad. The rest of the saw is nice. He sold it to me for $50. I've never ran anything larger than an 036 so I'm pretty excited to give this thing a new life and try is out in some big oak at my buddy's farm. Any opinions on aftermarket pistons?

Does anyone have a parts list in .pdf form that they could PM? I'd be greatly appreciative.

bet the new hire became the new fire lol you scored one mean mean saw for 50 bucks good job on the find!

046 is a great saw, in fact that model was the first saw I bought myself, still have it and still love it. Great power to weight, I just wish I'd gotten a deal like you did, I paid a little more for mine used :cheers:

The stories seem to be to avoid the Golf pistons, Meteor pistons are excellent, and the big bore kits, particularly the new variety with nikasil rather than chrome are also excellent.

It sounds like you found something that I would like to find, meaning a rebuildable 046/460 for not a lot of $$.

I have one of those BB kits in my 066, and its running really well.

I bought a near mint 046mag this past summer. Man I love that saw. Honestly I don't even think its broken in yet. The old guy said he only started it once. It's definatly running rich, and it pulls like a demon with 25" bar!!!!!

attachment.php

I did the same thing to an 039.. ran it with straight gas that is. I had two similar cans.. one with a yellow cap that was mix the other with a black cap that was straight. Not sure what I was thinking when I used the wrong gas.. anyway.. I couldn't bear to throw the saw away (nearly new) so I bought the 361 to replace it and over a few months time acquired the parts and a service manual and did the rebuild myself as a wintertime project. It runs great now. You'd have an easier time in that the 046 is a pro saw, the 039 is an intermediate saw that's actually harder to strip down and rebuild.

My advice.. get Stihl parts.. don't bother with the cheapo chinese crap. You have a great German saw.. keep it that way. Check out Ebay for a service manual.. they have plenty posted for the older "0" series saws.

Great price, by the way.. 50 bucks.. you can't lose.

I put a 25" bar on my 460 so I don't use it unless I'm into the big stuff.. but I really love it when I'm using it.

Great deal for you, I wish I could stumble on a deal like that, especially since I am wanting a 460 so bad. I would treat it to a big bore kit with a dual port muffler and enjoy that saw.

Carvinmark,
I keep noticing your avatar. My dad had a '64 Fairlane Sport Coupe back in the mid 60s. It was burgandy with balck interior, 289 High Performance with a 4 spd. Is that your car? The fat rubber on the back suggests Thunderbolt!

I think the owner of the rental shop let me have the saw for so little because I've been a good customer for 10 years and he said he's got so many repair jobs that his team can't keep up. There was stuff everywhere in the back room that needed fixed.

Anyway, the Stihl OEM pistons are over $100 but the aftermarket are around $30. If I run an aftermarket does it just wear out sooner (softer metal) or do I run the risk of blowing up the saw?

I had to hide this saw because my wife is gonna #### a brick if she see's another chansaw in my shed. I'm now up to 7.

Latest posts

Back