STIHL 056--should I stay away?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucew44guns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there years, or serial number sequences, that I could be in serious doo-doo if an ignition went bad on an 056? I know of a nice clean and good running 056 I can buy ok, but think I have heard of or remember trouble when the ignitions go bad on some 056 saws? Tell me to stay away---or tell me how this is not a problem for Arborist guys. Little ignorant about this saw problem. Thanks.

I did look into thre search feature on 056's this site, think I will steer clear of this model, too many other big saws to choose.

If it runs and the price is right, it's a great big powerful saw, heavy, but very powerful. You'll find that most of the older big cc saws have a drying up parts supply. With the exception of the ignition system challenges on that saw, it seems most other parts are readily available. Price and condition would most drive my decision making on it. If it runs well, it might not ever need a new ignition system.

Thanks for your helpful and realistic reply. I was in Oregon for years hauling diesel up in the woods to loggers. Saw countless 056's there, and wanted one for years despite owning a mag 660 that's new. Thanks.

Its a great saw,mine has been fussier than any Husky I've ever ran,but it is a powerful beast,smooth cutting and heavy enough to plow right through big wood with ease.Theres really a lot to be said for a heavy saw,it soaks up vibration,absorbs chatter,and pulls itself into the cut...outstanding bucking saw,and sings at high r's.Thumbs up on performance... Thumbs down on obsolescence and parts availability...and mine has been far more demanding in terms of maintenance than I would like,definitely considerations for the guy trying to make a go in a commercial application.Saws have come a long way in the past 30 years....I'd put my money into something with parts on the shelf

Latest posts

Back