Stihl 064 and 026 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59Ford

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some info on these saws? A buddy and I have started selling firewood this year(used to just cut wood for home use) and I've been looking to upgrade saws. He's using a small craftsman and I've been using a 610 McCulloch. Now that I'm cutting a lot I'd like to finally buy a decent saw. I was originally looking for a newer ms460 but know someone who'd like to sell me an 064 and 026, both are in great shape just older.
I've looked up the specs online and I know how to check them out when i go take a look.

Just looking for some opinions as well as what each of these are worth.
It won't let me search for "064", since it's under 4 letters.

They are both great saws. If in great shape, I would go 450-500 on an 064, and 250 or so on an 026.

Thats if I KNEW they were in great shape running wise, and with pretty plastic and paint.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

the 064 will have way more power than your than your 610 and way about the same andim about to buy a 260 myself i think it will be the perfect 2 saw plan. not that ill ever have just 2 saws

Unless your buddy is just trying to sneak something past ya, those 2 saws are an awesome beginning to an addiction to chainsaws. :chainsawguy:

Two great saws. The 064 is very good when it comes to power to weight. My stock 064 pulls a 32 well in hardwood. Pulls a 36 on sometimes too. Great saw with a cool sound.

thanks I think I'll probably go take a look in the next day or so. I'm a little nervous about buying older saws but if I can get 2 decent saws for the price of a newer one, this would probably be a better setup anyway.

thanks I think I'll probably go take a look in the next day or so. I'm a little nervous about buying older saws but if I can get 2 decent saws for the price of a newer one, this would probably be a better setup anyway.

They made the 026 as the 260 until recently. The 064 and 026 are the same basic design as many Stihl saws. Excluding the 361, 362, 441, etc. Lots of guys use theose saws commercially.

well I'm going to try to check them out this afternoon. I know about how the model numbers changed but I believe both saws are 5-10yrs old, just not used much and in good shape.

I will bring a compression tester but are there any other little things to watch out for?

T-27 and pull the mufflers. Or at least look through the plug hole. If you can run them in some wood.

Can anyone give me some info on these saws? A buddy and I have started selling firewood this year(used to just cut wood for home use) and I've been looking to upgrade saws. He's using a small craftsman and I've been using a 610 McCulloch. Now that I'm cutting a lot I'd like to finally buy a decent saw. I was originally looking for a newer ms460 but know someone who'd like to sell me an 064 and 026, both are in great shape just older.
I've looked up the specs online and I know how to check them out when i go take a look.

Just looking for some opinions as well as what each of these are worth.
It won't let me search for "064", since it's under 4 letters.

I have been here 4 years now and still use the search almost every day.
The search is almost useless now as most saws are only 3 digit's :blob2:

As has been said 026 and 064's are good saws, I have 2-026's and 3-064's
Am a huge 064 fan, My first 064 was a very low hour 064 with scored PC.
It was given to me so the price of OEM PC kit didn't hurt to much.
Then I ended up with 3-064 parts saw, so I got one going out of the parts
and 3rd 064 was going with a new OEM PC kit. For less than $500 is why
I have 3-064's and it's almost the same story with the 2-026's I have.

If I end up with with any more 064's am going to sell it.........................maybe :)

If you know the guy that has the saws for sell, ask him if he would like
to go with you and try them out. If you don't know him well try to get
the 026 warmed up good. Some of the older 026's did have a problem
with fly wheel side crank seal leaking. Sometimes it will not show up
until saws has been used after it gets warm. Turn saw on each side
and see if idle goes up or down. Gas pooling in intake boot cans cause
idle to change also when saw is turned on it's side.

TT

Back