Stihl 066 Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mondovino

mondovino

ArboristSite Lurker
I have noticed that my chain seems slightly dry in appearance on my 36" bar after cutting an oak trunk. The oiler must be working because my chain isn't stretching and the chain oil level does go down as I cut wood. I removed the chain sprocket cover to clean out the accumulation of oily sawdust, and I'd like to remove the inner side plate to clean under it. My inner side plate doesn't have a retaining screw. It just has metal tabs pressing against the boss of the sprocket cover studs. How do I remove the inner side plate? My MS260's chain looks wet after I use the saw. Does it sound like my 066 is not oiling sufficiently? I also pulled the clutch drum, and it is black and gummy. What maintenance should I do there? Soak the drum in solvent to clean it off? Then grease cage bearings as I reassemble? (they look dry) Thanks!

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Your chain won't look oily when you run a bar that long. If you engage the clutch and let the saw run a bit you should be eble to throw oil when you rev the saw up. But when cutting that chain will get plenty of oil even if it does not look like it. I crank all my oilers up to the max and use a tank of oil to a tank of mix but that is not really the best way to go about it. At least I use a biodegadeable oil.

Jacob J.
It just has metal tabs pressing against the boss of the sprocket cover studs. How do I remove the inner side plate?

You take a small, thin, flat-bladed screwdriver and slip it under that plate and pry it off. Don't worry about breaking it, it won't break.

mondovino said:
Does it sound like my 066 is not oiling sufficiently?

It's oiling fine. Use a thinner bar oil if need be and make sure the oiler is turned all the way up.

mondovino said:
I also pulled the clutch drum, and it is black and gummy. What maintenance should I do there? Soak the drum in solvent to clean it off? Then grease cage bearings as I reassemble? (they look dry) Thanks!

Yes and yes.

Latest posts