Stihl 066 or 088?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody uses these saws? wondering if anybody has an 066 with a 42" or 48" bar.

i have an 066 modifyed by Dennis...... AWSOME saw!!!!!!! i normally run a 28'' bar on it with full comp chain in the hardwoods (run full skip in pine and poplar because they chips are wetter and harder to clean) i ran a 36'' on it and it does fine, i plan on trying a 42'' on it though:rolleyes:

Yes, but can't decide if I want the 066 or 088. Looking for ssomething with a 42" or 48" bar. According to Stihl the 088 has an extra 30 cc of power however they are both capable of the same size bar. The weight issue between the 2 is 6lbs, althogh this will be used on ground level only 6lbs x's 5-6 hrs a day = no use of arms at night!

I run an 066

Very slight muffler and ports polished. No internal modifications.
The 066 will pull a 36 inch bar. Ran a 42 inch bar and had to be more aware not to stop the chain. Used 404 full skip full chisel chain.

3/8 full comp 36 inch bar ran with no problem.

You can get a new 066 "grey" market for $700. The local dealer will sell you one for over $800. If you buy it "out of town" you have to deal with the warranty territory issue.

Because of warranties, 90 days on a Stihl I will buy a Husky 395 or 3120 for the next big saw. Husky's have a two year warranty and both of the local dealers here care less where you bought it.

You can get a 3120 which is comparable to an 088 for under $900.

my last post was a little off, what i meant to say was the 088 was 6 lbs heavier then the 066. and that the extra 6lbs would make your arms alot more tired after running it for a day.

Rich, I think "grey" market means that amount of time between falling off the back of the truck and the time you buy it from the guy on the other side of the country and he ships it to you! :rolleyes:

I guess you could say that, although I probably wouldn't recommend taking it to a dealer for warranty service either.

"grey market" would be buying from someone who isn't a dealer but more than likely has a dealer thats willing to sell him a saw for less than "normal" if he buys them in volume, ie. with stihl you can't sell them over the net if you are a dealer so you sell to a friend of yours and he does it....... am i right Don????
:Monkey:

when you guys refer to husky do you mean Huquavarna? If so do they have a web site for more info? That isn't a big name around here so I would also need to know if there is a dealer in my area.

I have been a Stihl fan for many years and believe them to make a superior saw to Husky. But I also have worked in the tree care industry for almost 20 years and know what saws get used and what saws get dusted off once a month. For typical tree care (trimming and removals) in MY area, nothing larger than an 046 is needed 99% of the time.
IF I were to buy a big saw for that big stump cut once a month I would get a Husky 395 or 3120. More power for the dollar and I'm not going to run it enough to wear it out in 10 years. If, however, I were going to be cutting down and bucking up large wood on a daily basis, I would spend the extra and buy a Stihl 066 or 088. I have run all 4 saws and have SOME experience with personally seeing how they perform as well as how they hold up over time. But I am not a logger, I'm an Arborist. 90% of my work is done with a climbing saw.

OOPS, forgot the obligatory pic of me running a 3120 at 25' off the ground (this was a fairly large removal).

Bwalker and Ray are correct

Grey market is the way I bought the 066's .
Saved over $300. Okay Okay "what about the warranty" I had the person I bought them from run a couple of tanks and do some cuttin to make sure they weren't DOA. So bought them with 32 inch bars delivered for under $600

Latest posts

Back