Stihl 066 or 088?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saw durablity

hi rob,
a racing engine is always closer to the breaking point that a saw motor that is modified for the woods. When we port a saw engine we always spend time putting a radius on the port edges and put a slight edge on the rings. also put a 30 degree bevel on the bottom of the piston for better oil supply. I run 32-1 synthetic on the larger saws and down to 25-1 on the smaller saws and the alcohol saws. My woods saws are much more durable than a factory saw because of these things. The only saw we have problem,s with are the old mac kart motors. the piston assemblies just dont hold up at 20-22 hp. I did lose one 394 a few years back while setting the mixture at a contest. it hung a ring at 16,600 rpm. very expensive. I never have ever set a saw engine with a tack since. I use a different method now and its much easier on the saw
ken
[email protected]
530-589-2744

fast quite 394

Hi rob,
that was several years ago. it is the saw in the photo.7-8 posts earlier but didn't have the pipe. when i blew it up it was a interesting event, one second I was turning 16,600 and 2 seconds later the saw was stopped cold. then there was complete utter silence.then the crowd in complete unison made a loud oooohh! It cost 300.00 for a new barrel and piston And quite a few hours of labor to put the saw back in running order
ken

Well Ken I'm glad to see something good came from it..a nicely piped saw indeed.Will you be coming to Dans ECC by any chance??

later Rob..

Hello Ken&Dennis
A fella could make a one sleeper belly bar from that.
Dennis how much did the lady charge you for the double ender or did she have you work it off the Hard way.

eec saw event

hi rob,
Dennis and myself are both going to come out and try our 372's and see how we do. should make for some interesting racing. the battle of the engine modifiers
ken

I'm glad to hear that you two guys will be there I can't wait to meet you all,and of course compete a little bit too..:D I hear v6bill will be joining us there as well.

later Rob..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back