Stihl 066 red light special too much compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red light 066 is ALIVE !!!

I rinsed the oil out of the top end with some mix, cleaned the plug and gave it a shot of starting fluid and made a committed pull and it popped right off.

I'm putting a new chain on it today. I have a huge oak that I have been widdling on with my little Echo 40cc. The 066 should do the trick.

What is the best mix ratio an what octane gas should I run in this beast?

Thanks yous guys:clap:

Ryon

I wouldn't get in a habit of using starting fluid. Good to hear it fired off for ya. Have fun:cheers:

"cleaned the plug and gave it a shot of starting fluid "

............and all the collective thread readers "wince"............

Just say NO to ether!

I recommend Husky or Stihl mix oil, they are proven & contain fuel preservatives that help keep your carb clean. No special ration needed just follow the directions. I like the 2.5 gal Stihl mix bottles, makes it easy for us that are mathematically challenged. I like higher octane gas but it is not necessary.

RD

Last edited:
I had an 064 without compression release. Easy to start 20 years ago when I was a youth of 45, not fun now. It sure did a number on my hands, especially when trying to crank it at -20 F. I thought about putting a "D" ring on it and that would have helped. After all, hand cranking a snogo is a D ring job and I can still do that at -20 . Since I didn't need the 064 any more for its original purpose (milling), and it was too expensive to decorate the coffee table with it, I swapped it for a nice new 280 with compression release.

For those who like to say "grow some", wait. Time and "trauma induced arthritis" will help change your views on things like compression release. It's not only easier on the operator's hands, but it's also easier on the machine.

We have a 50:1 and a 32:1

Am I better off running on the rich side or am I OK running at 50:1?

I put a new chain on today and took it for a test drive....

It did not even bog down on some 38 inch Oak, Great Saw!!:chainsaw:

Thanks again for you support.

Ryon

Unless your milling, 50:1 is fine. I have a saw I have been running since 1983 & it's only had stihl 50:1 mix in it. The p&c is perfect.
Unless you have one a dual port muffler is next.......and it begins...:cheers:

RD

50:1 works for me

Thanks again,

This forum is a great wealth of knowledge. I'm just using this saw to drop trees (for the band saw mill, LT 15) and fire wood.

I appreciate all of the help.

Ryon

Back