Stihl 066: What is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a redlight, search red light or red eye. It starts to flash at max rpms, came on the first 066 made, the strongest versions i fell:rock:

What a sweet find! I would like to add a red light or find another 064 digital to the stable one of these days. Red light or not, ya have to love those older flat tops!

This saw is missing muffler, clutch cover, chain brake handle and air filter cover. The guy I got it from says he has the parts and will send them to me. Anyway, when I get it together, I will let you guys know. I do not need one this big, will need to sell it at some point.

Yeah man. Forget putting it back together. What's the price? :msp_biggrin:

Nice find. How much do you want for it?

Right now, I stripped it down to clean it up, see what it might need, Compression is pretty good, 155/160 range. Ring end gap at about .017. I ordered new rings, but it is pretty good right now. I have about $400. into it at this point, needs at least muffler, chain brake/ handle assy and clutch cover and a bar and chain. Kind of wanted a big bore stihl to play with, but if this has special value to some one, I can let it go. Serial number is 127970894.

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad

Even though I am listed as a senior member, I am still rather ignorant of the proper methods on this forum. Did not mean for this thread to start looking like I was advertising. Having said that, is this more of a collectors saw? I was going to put in new rings. All ready ordered some Caber brand rings. Or should I carry on and not worry about it.

Even though I am listed as a senior member, I am still rather ignorant of the proper methods on this forum. Did not mean for this thread to start looking like I was advertising. Having said that, is this more of a collectors saw? I was going to put in new rings. All ready ordered some Caber brand rings. Or should I carry on and not worry about it.

If its got 160 psi I wouldn't worry about new rings, but since you've already got it apart it can't hurt.

Back