Stihl 070 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve hammered

Reaction score
Hi group

My 1st post from down in Costa Rica
Great form and enjoy reading it

I'm in need of some help here

My work horse doesn't want to start

German 070 av

It has a weak spark
Put a new coil in
New points
New spark cable
No condensor though to be found

Still have a weak spark
I can hold the plag with just a lite zap

Gaped the points .4mm
Timing is TDC

Any suggestions on what might be the problem

I can only think condensor but can't get one yet
On order I was told

Thanks for any advice that is offered up

Besides the condenser the kill switch wire might be another possible culprit (shorting to ground).
Also, an ignition module (Nova II etc.) can be fitted to bypass condenser problems.

If you can feel a zap when you hold the plug but cannot actually see a spark, It will almost certainly be the condenser. There are two versions of the condenser one the wires solder on, the other they screw on.

dsc00315-jpg.393332

dsc00314-jpg.393331

Not sure what you mean by "timing is TDC". It should be 27.3-29.3 degrees before TDC.

Attachments

• DSC00314.JPG
    DSC00314.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to the site Steve.
You will need a new condenser or as already mentioned one of the various chips like the Nova Module or the one Stihl has used as a universal module. With the modules you can bypass the points and condenser, the module acts as a triggering mechanism for the spark timing. I would do a thorough search for one of the original condensers if at all possible. They should still be available from Stihl , if not then lots of parts come up on eBay for them often.

Thanks guys
Will go to town and find condensor

Saw hasn't been used lately
It has always started fine till the other day

In kind of partial to my lighter saws theses days

It's mad at me for not using it as often as I once did I think

It ran good before but humity here is 99% half the year here and might have gotten into it

I know a few old timers that run the 070-090 and maybe one of them has a spare condensor?

Latest posts

Back