Stihl 090 Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the best way to I D a Stihl 090? What is the serial number? Is the air cleaner with the 090 on it just for the 090's? Are parts interchangeable with 070's or other models?
THANKS for the help.

What is the best way to I D a Stihl 090? What is the serial number? Is the air cleaner with the 090 on it just for the 090's? Are parts interchangeable with 070's or other models?
THANKS for the help.

Cool. Another AS guy somewhat near me. If you're thinking about the "090" on the SF CL..................................that ain't an 090. By the pic I'd say it's an 075. Totaly different saw family.

As to how to tell a Contra from an 070 from an 090...............well I'll let the experts weigh in on that. I'd like to know for myself too. There's always guys listing "090" saws on CL and fleabay. It'd be nice to be able to protect yourself a bit more with the great shield of knowledge...:popcorn:

070s and 090s are externally identical - apart from any badges, which could be "wrong" anyway. There are only two differences:

1) The 090 has a (very expensive to replace) 6 shoe clutch. A conventional 3 shoe clutch is an 070.

2) The 090 has a bigger bore - 66mm, as opposed to 58mm on the 070. Take the exhaust off and stick the tail of a caliper in to measure (or a ruler, the difference is pretty obvious.

3) Contras have the same crankcase, a different carb arrangement, different exhaust (with a hook on top, and no bottom steady). Standard Contras also have a shorter stroke than an 070. Contra-S ("090" sized Contras), have the same stroke as the 070/090. The obvious external difference is the plastic "bonnet". These are not interchangeable with the 070/090 as the spark plug is in the wrong place.

Summary: if someone takes an 070, puts a 6 shoe clutch on it and a large diameter piston, it is an 090, and there is no way to tell it apart.

I'm planning to do a thread on this (turning an 070 into a Contra-S, and a Contra into an 070), I've done most of the work but not finished yet.

Cool. Another AS guy somewhat near me. If you're thinking about the "090" on the SF CL..................................that ain't an 090. By the pic I'd say it's an 075. Totaly different saw family.

QUOTE]

There are probably at least a dozen or so AS members in the SF bay area. We should get together .

Latest posts

Back