• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 090AV need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poulan_man85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
20180408_105213.jpg I recently acquired a stihl 090av from someone and am looking for some help with it, trying to find out some more info on it as well as considering selling it since I don't really collect saws of this nature, from what I believe I have gathered is that it's an earlier model, i believe it is a true 090, however the decompression lever throws me off, it has a stamped serial number case and has a drain plug, also it has a 3 shoe clutch, (could possibly have been changed) it is to my understanding that the earlier ones did have these, anyway what I am looking for is someone who really knows about these to give some insight as to how old it is, everything on this saw is stihl, no aftermarket parts, the muffler is marked 67, compression is 160lbs, I am just starting to go over this saw now, any info would be greatly appreciated.
20180406_212635.jpg 20180406_212616.jpg 20180408_103248.jpg 20180408_103319.jpg 20180408_103332.jpg 20180408_103357.jpg 20180408_103423.jpg 20180408_103436.jpg 20180408_103452.jpg

Did you get 66mm or 58mm when you measured the bore? The notches at the front of the top fin tell me it's a 070. 3 shoe clutches are 070 and will not tolerate long 60" bars very well. I have two 070AV's just like that one. Very cool fuel cap, thats worth a bit of coin I'd bet.

I stand corrected, it is 58mm piston, looks as though it's an 070 after all. I am still curious as to how old it is and may be interested in parting with it, not sure what something like this is worth

I was under the understanding that the transfer ports on 070 ended between 4th and 5th fin from bottom up, this one ends between 5th and 6th fin

Interesting I didn’t know there was a 070AV. I thought only the 090 got the anti-vibe?
The 090 has an early and late AV model. Both are much better on the hands than the standard "white knuckle" model. The later is the way to go with very long bars as you can pull or push up on the bottom of the handle and still get the AV benefit. You will realize this in short order when switching from one type to the other buckink a 60 inch or larger log.

Very good info there! Thank you, I was really hoping this was a 090 but oh well, win some lose some, all in all i didnt lose out on the purchase, I may just put a 36 or 41 inch bar on it and have some fun with it until I decide to let it find another home thank you for your help

The "67" on the muffler means it was cast in 1967. That means if the muffler is original to the saw it's likely a first year 070 as they were introduced in 1968. Also, that is a very low serial number for a post-Contra. Lastly, the sight glass on the fuel tank is the early style as well; later ones essentially had a hex head molded into them.

You can quite easily tell it's an 070 cylinder since the spring steel for the decomp runs right-to-left. On an 090 it runs back-to-front.

The AV handlebar setup is much later than the saw itself and was obviously retro-fitted. The AV setups on that early of a saw would have been painted white, not black, and the throttle safety interlock came later.

The fuel cap is from a Contra and is fairly valuable for a fuel cap. I believe it may have even been before the end of the Contra run when they switched to the three lobe fuel cap that you see on 070s and 090s.

It's a nice saw and will be fun to run! Any other questions just let us know!

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge of this saw, I believe I am going to get it running and put a nice bar on it, currently not getting any spark but I have not checked the points yet, I may consider selling the gas cap to someone who could use it more for an original collectible saw, not sure what something like that is worth but just putting it out there, it's in very good condition no chips or breaks, hopefully I can find a set of dawgs for it and maybe a 36 to 41 inch bar

Latest posts

Back